We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Africa's "Big 5" to Change

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
364 reviews
Save Topic
South Africa's "Big 5" to Change

I was interested in SA Tourism’s announcement today about the change to South Africa’s “Big 5”.

"SA Tourism Ministry spokesperson Miles Ndingkwe announced today that there would be a change made to the so-called “Big 5” of South Africa, with the giraffe taking the place of the leopard alongside the other “Big 4” of lion, buffalo, elephant and rhino".

“SA Tourism has had a lot of feedback over the past 18 months from international tourists who travel long distances and spend large amounts of money in order to see the “Big 5”, only to go home disappointed owing to the rarity of leopard sightings in the wild" Mr Ndingkwe said. "In changing the make up of the list SA Tourism hopes that visitors will more easily be able to see all the “Big 5”, and therefore have a more satisfying holiday experience”.

The change will take effect from noon today 1 April.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Africa's "Big 5" to Change

Interesting! This won't change the real Big 5 which has been in use for decades if not centuries. On the other hand the problem also lies with uninformed tourists who have unrealistic expectations of seeing a leopard. They are a top predator which are always low in numbers compared to antelope, plus they are elusive, well camouflaged and nocturnal.

Werner

Eko Tracks

New York
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: South Africa's "Big 5" to Change

No fair! It's not April Fool's Day yet here.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: South Africa's "Big 5" to Change

Almost had me fooled ...if I hadn't have seen you in action aleady for April Fool's elsewhere ctrunfree!

Go tend your pot plants.:-)

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
611 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Africa's "Big 5" to Change

Brilliant! Well done. Almost had me fooled, but then again, the amount of bull that our government spews these days it is hardly unbelievable!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,086 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: South Africa's "Big 5" to Change

Worsie

I've just sighted a Bull - does that count as my first of the "Big 5" for today!

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South Africa's "Big 5" to Change

Good story. You caught me out nicely. What made the story believable for me is that one can expect anything coming from Africa and this is not too far fetched. Like eating garlic and beetroot to cure HIV/Aids, a statement made by a politician in SA was not an April fool joke.

Werner

Eko Tracks

7. Re: South Africa's "Big 5" to Change

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 11:26