We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Capetown for 9 days - Waterfront and not too expensive?

Dublin
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Capetown for 9 days - Waterfront and not too expensive?

Hi,

My girlfriend and I (both in late 20s) are staying in Capetown for 9 night sin the middle of June. We've spent most of our budget on our Safari after and need to hold back a little on the accomodation. I'm gathering that what is best for us would be a stay in the V & A waterfront area and but I could do with some help on what is suitable and in our price range. I'd like to get the 8 nights for somewhere around 400 euro. I don't know if thats possible and I suppose that I could stratch it a little if it would make a big difference.

I'm looking at the harbouredge appartments that look fabulous but I read a review that the location is bad even though its a 0.6mile to the waterfront. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Irish Matt

Boquete, Panama
Level Contributor
169 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Capetown for 9 days - Waterfront and not too expensive?

We found that there are several of the Protea chain there last year that were offering some pretty low rates.

That said, we also found that there were tremendous differences in each hotel even though they are the same chain. We stayed at 2 or 3 and they were all clean and had good locations.

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Capetown for 9 days - Waterfront and not too expensive?

Hi Irish Matt - 400 euro for 9 nights is a fairly tight budget for CT accommodation. I have not stayed at the Harbour Edge but I know where they are - I would agree that there could be a bit of road noise dependent upon which apartment you get. Read the review you refer to and I note that this was a first time poster which always make me suspicious - many others seem to have had a much better experience. I do not consider the location poses any particular risk in itself but I would take taxi's after dark.

Lake Tahoe, CA, USA
Level Contributor
299 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Capetown for 9 days - Waterfront and not too expensive?

Irish Matt,

Have you thought about a self catering apartment?

Check out sa-venues.com or capestay.co.za.

While we are staying at a slightly more expensive place than is in your budget, there are accomodations in your price range.

Dublin
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Capetown for 9 days - Waterfront and not too expensive?

Thanks for the responses. Prixed the Protea down at the Waterfront. The stay for the 8 days is 573 euro at the break water lodge. Seems nice? And might be worth stretching the budget for the piece of mind. I take your point on the taxis at night time to get back to whereever we are going Taxman. I'll remember that.

Going to check those self catering addresses and see whats what. Thanks for the advice. Anything else anybody can think of?

Cheers,

Irish Matt

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,488 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Capetown for 9 days - Waterfront and not too expensive?

As you probably know, the Breakwater was converted (very successfully) from a prison. The Standard rooms, which would likely be the one in that quote they gave you, are not very big.

I would look here: http://www.safarinow.com/search.aspx?lid=996 - This is Green Point, and many of these places are not so far from the V&A Waterfront. After all, with 9 days there, you could be staying anywhere and go to the Waterfront when you want to. But - all in all, the Breakwater is a good deal. If I were in your position, I would deal with them this way - for a 9-night booking, tell them you think it would be nice for them to upgrade you to a Luxury room.

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
781 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Capetown for 9 days - Waterfront and not too expensive?

We've stayed at the Breakwater Lodge and can recommend it. To make your stay more economic, it's worth noting that they have communal lounges with fridges and basic cooking facilities.

Ramsgate, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Capetown for 9 days - Waterfront and not too expensive?

My family have just returned to the UK from Cape Town. We stayed at Seaviews guest house which is in Seapoint, which borders Green Point. Eating out is very very cheap. I can't remember how much we paid for our B&B but I am pretty tight! Seaviews has only 2 rooms and is run by a semi-retired couple who emigrated from the UK 30 years ago. Might be worth asking for a price. seaviews@yebo.co.za

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Capetown for 9 days - Waterfront and not too expensive?

You'll love Camps Bay. As it's low season you might get a deal at a good B&B. Try Peter & Margie at www.entabeniguesthouse.co za. We've stayed there several times & you are made to feel like one of the family. Great food, wonderful location & no hassle.

Loads of really good restaurants just down the road.

9. Re: Capetown for 9 days - Waterfront and not too expensive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2009, 06:29