We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greenpoint stadium - tours

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
646 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Greenpoint stadium - tours

The stadium is looking terrific.

Can anyone tell me if there are now tours available - we'd love to look around - hubbies team Newcastle are not doing so well this year, however mine, Chelsea are!

But in terms of world cup at least his team (England) will get to travel to SA, whilst the Tartan Army will remain in bonny Scotland!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
646 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greenpoint stadium - tours

bump!

Any one got any info on how to book a tour of the new stadium?

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
259 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greenpoint stadium - tours

Hey Littlejohn

What do you mean Newcastle arent doing too well this year . I will have you know we beat Doncaster last week and how many people can say that lately.

Anyway regarding your query about the new stadium We were there 6 weeks ago and there was no tours available indeed the roadworks around the ground were under construction and public access looks quite a way off yet.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,265 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Greenpoint stadium - tours

Unfortunately there are currently no tours available. There were tours until earlier this year when they were put on hold while the glass roof was being installed - probably a good idea!

They did plan to restart them a couple of months ago but the emphasis has been on catching up to get the stadium basically finished by Decdember 4th as the final draw will be held in the stadium on that date. The definitely need to have all the seats and a pitch in place by then for the world's TV cameras. There is some hold up on the external skin sections which are taking a week or two each but this is in no way a critical path.

There was also a Visitor Centre which had models, videos and virtual tours. This however was in a temporary buiding on the site which was closed a few weeks ago as part of the precinct development.

So now the best is to look at threads such as : www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php…

which have on going pictures and discussion on th stadium on a daily basis.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
646 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greenpoint stadium - tours

Denver - please do not encourage me to talk football - Newcastle can hardly be called a football team in their current state! ;-)

VdC - excellent info - thanks. Quite understand the desire to get the stadium completed - here in central Scotland there is already pressure to get everything spruced up for the Commonwealth Games (and they are 5 years off!)

It will be amazing to see SA on show to the world during the World Cup - a fantastic promotional opportunity - but I am glad we are coming before the crowds of football fanatics arrive!

Western Cape,South...
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greenpoint stadium - tours

To see how the stadium develops on a day - by - day basis,go to this site :

…com.Wonderful photos and commentary by "Joanne".

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,265 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Greenpoint stadium - tours

Joanne links most days from the skyscrapercity site but if you want to go there directly I don't think the posted link works, as it doesn't have a space at the end of the link.

Try :

greenpointstadium-and-capetown.blogspot.com/

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
920 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Greenpoint stadium - tours

Hi Van_de_Caab or anyone else who can help us :)

We are in Cape Town at the end of January 2010 and just wondered if there was an update of having a tour around Green Point Stadium? Thanks Carol

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Pelham, Canada
Level Contributor
382 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greenpoint stadium - tours

Hi

We will be in Cape Town the first week of Feb. and are also interested in doing a tour of the stadium. Does anyone living nearby know anything about this. We will be at the Winchester Mansions so would we be able to walk there?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Winchester Mansions
Winchester Mansions
1,189 Reviews
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,265 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Greenpoint stadium - tours

Still not sure of the status of tours. But on January 23 and February 6 you can go one better. Attend a game!

The first sceduled match is a football game between the two Cape Town PSL teams - Ajax and Santos on Saturday Jan 23 kick off 4pm There is also a pop concert with one of Cape Towns best bands - Freshlyground from 2pm

Book on Computicket - tickets are all of R30 or R50 each for the whole event!

computicket.com/web/…90135050

Then on Saturday Feb 6th there is the first Rugby Game. The Cape Stormers Super 14 team against an Invitation 15. This time the warm up act is Flat Stanley, another top band.

Interestingly for Rugby the prices are higher R50 and R80!

computicket.com/web/…96220018

After this I am sure thjat there will be regular matches played so that all the systems and facilities can be tested out.

And laurelie - yes it is easy to walk from Winchester Mansions

Edited: 09 January 2010, 21:14
Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Santos beach
Santos beach
126 Reviews
Mossel Bay, South Africa
Winchester Mansions
Winchester Mansions
1,189 Reviews
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Pelham, Canada
Level Contributor
382 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Greenpoint stadium - tours

Thank You

I just checked the websites you gave me. We will be in Cape Town until Feb 5th then on to a guest house near Simon's Town for the weekend. I now wish we were going to be at the Mansions on the 6th as we would be going for sure! (Even though we 2 Canadians know nothing about rugby!!!) We are still going to give this some thought . From what I can tell it should still be light until 8:00 pm as we do not feel comfortable driving in the dark.

Only 3 weeks until our trip and I can't wait to experience South Africa

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Simon's Town
Simon's Town
Cape Town, South Africa