We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to spend our last night?

Belgium
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Where to spend our last night?

Hi,

After staying 2 nights in Knysna we want to spend our last night somewhere already closer to CT international airport.

Would you recommend:

Hermanus? (is it still worhtwile end of November?)

Swellendam? (is there anything to see/do there?)

Stellenbosch? (we will spend one day in Stellenbosch earlier during our trip)

another place??

thanks,

Jenny

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,104 posts
552 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to spend our last night?

Hi

I would not pick Swellendam. For me, it is a small town with not a lot going on. There is some nice accommodation in rural areas just outside the town.

I would pick Stellenbosch, but then I am a wine freak! There are some very good restaurants in Stellenbosch, if you want to treat yourselves on your last night.

An alternative would be Robertson, another wine area but very different in feel to Stellenbosch

Or the Overberg - but not necessarily Hermanus. I like Stanford - inland but close to the sea. Then there is the area around Elgin - wonderful mountain scenery and in the middle of apple country. There is even a road called Appeltiser Road.

Anyway, just a few ideas to get you thinking

Lisa

Belgium
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to spend our last night?

Many thanks for the advice! This helps a lot.

Kind regards,

Jenny

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to spend our last night?

I realise it all depends on times of flights etc but We always spend the last few nights in Camps Bay.

It's only 30 mins max to the airport - so easy to get to, no stress needed at the end of the holiday.

Great places for lunch etc.

Also maybe consider Franschhoek - only 1 hour away.

We always stay with Sharon & Charlie at 'The Coach House' maybe worth a look?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
848 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to spend our last night?

I am just planning our next trip and have booked to stay our last night (well last 3 nights actually at Rouxwil Guest Farm outside Caledon) - been there several times now and it is fast becoming one of our favourite places to stay - on the last day after check out we plan to slowly drive down to Hermanus, maybe stopping at a couple of wine farms on the way, then a good final lunch looking at the sea in Hermanus, followed by a long walk at the Harold Potter Botanical Gardens on the very scenic coastal road back to Capetown - then a easy drive to the airport for our evening flight. Makes a very full and varied last day

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,665 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to spend our last night?

There still will be whales around at De Keldsrs - which is across the bay from Hermanus (and has great sunsets!) - and they'll be around Hermanus as well. I think I would pick one of these two. To add my 'ditto' to a couple of earliers posts: Not much to do in a one-night stay at Swellendam. If you do stay in Hermanus or De Kelders, take a leisurely drive around through Kleinmond, Bettys Bay (big penguin colony here) Harold Porter gardens perhaps. And then continue around to Strand and onward to the airport. That drive - the last 15 miles or so, is probably the prettiest coastal drive in the country.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to spend our last night?

I definitely wouldn't stay in Swellendam. We stayed there a few years ago & decided that we had wasted a night.

As you're driving up from Knysna it would make sense to stay west of CPT. Whether you stay as far away as Robertson (we prefer Montagu) may depend on the time of your flight. If it's awkward then I'd go for Stellenbosch. Although you had one day there you will find plenty of new places to explore & loads of excellent restaurants in which to celebrate the end of your wonderful vacation.

Either way, while driving from Knysna I would highly recommend going via Oudtshoorn then Route 62 to Robertson, then Villiersdorp, Franschoek, Stellenbosch, CPT. It's a much prettier run than the N2.

Edited: 13 September 2010, 12:24
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,104 posts
552 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to spend our last night?

Dave

Did exactly your recommended drive on our last day on our last trip. We stayed st Stanford, drove round to Hermanus, then onto Bettys Bay and the Harold Porter Gardens. Very nice stop for a couple of hours and good cafe. Then through to Strand before getting to the airport. Very relaxing way to spend your last day

By the way spending our first night at Bettys Bay this time, as loved the scenery so much!

Lisa

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
384 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to spend our last night?

I would agree with Dave about De Kelders. We stayed there last year near the beginning of our holiday and said that if we ever returned to South Africa it would be the perfect place to spend our last night. There is something very relaxing and therapeutic about whale watching and the scenery is stunning.

9. Re: Where to spend our last night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2011, 07:17