We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oudsthoorn or Tsitsikamma

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
452 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Oudsthoorn or Tsitsikamma

Hello, I'm finalising a trip to SA with my wife in June and am faced with a difficult choice: between two days in Oudtshoorn or Tsitsikamma/Stormsriver, which would you recommend and why? The other areas we have decided to go to are Addo and Knysna, and basically we have to choose which place to add. (And unfortunately we really don't have the luxury of extending our stay and seeing both.) Thanks!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,068 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Oudsthoorn or Tsitsikamma

In June (middle of winter) I would definitely pick Oudtshoorn.

Oudtshoorn is inland, over two coastal mountain ranges, and has a much drier and warmer climate than the coast. Can be 5-10C warmer than the coast (not always!). And anyway Tsitsikamma is only about 45mins drive from Knysna along a fast freeway so you can easily visit from there or on the way to Addo (you pass right by).

Loads to do in either place - although probably more "winter friendly" activities in Oudtshoorn!

Edited: 11 November 2010, 12:00
Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,205 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Oudsthoorn or Tsitsikamma

For variety, I would go with Oudtshoorn. The difference between the coast and 100kms inland is quite interesting.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
452 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oudsthoorn or Tsitsikamma

Right, Oudtshoorn it is then! Thanks very much to both of you :-)

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oudsthoorn or Tsitsikamma

I disagree with the above. Yes, it is true that Oudtshoorn will be warmer, but you simply cannot even vaguely compare Oudsthoorn with Stormsriver camp.

The latter is one of the most scenic holiday spots in the country.

December accomodation is often booked eleven months in advance.

Hearing the waves crash on the rocks at night at Stormsriver is very special if you are not used to living at the sea.

I strongly recommend further research. Google the topic and see for yourself.

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oudsthoorn or Tsitsikamma

I disagree with the above. Yes, it is true that Oudtshoorn will be warmer, but you simply cannot even vaguely compare Oudsthoorn with Stormsriver camp.

The latter is one of the most scenic holiday spots in the country.

December accomodation is often booked eleven months in advance.

Hearing the waves crash on the rocks at night at Stormsriver is very special if you are not used to living at the sea.

I strongly recommend further research. Google the topic and see for yourself.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
841 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oudsthoorn or Tsitsikamma

Sorry to have to disagree with you Navigator31, yes Stormsriver is very scenic and listening to the waves is pleasant, but absolutely no different to similar scenery anywhere else in the world, whereas the stunning scenery in the Karoo is very special to South Africa and for that reason alone Oudtshoorn would be my choice - and as Lamlee mentions if you want variety after your stay in Knysna then go inland.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
452 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oudsthoorn or Tsitsikamma

Hi Navigator and thanks for that other perspective. I've actually experienced a fair amount of rugged seascapes living in the islands, but never get tired of it which is why Stormsriver appeals to me and this is an agonizing choice. That said, while I've experienced seascapes in different parts of the world (and I don't mean to imply Stormsriver would be just another one, I do believe it's quite special), the appeal of Oudtshoorn is how different it probably is from anything I've been to. Hopefully I still get to see Stormsriver though. Thanks again!

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oudsthoorn or Tsitsikamma

No problem, Oudtshoorn also has a lot of offer. I am sure you will enjoy your stay. You must try Ostrich biltong (the local version of American jerkey) when you are in Oudtshoorn.

Ostrich is my favourite meat beacuse it has so little fat.

I am also quite fond of the Karoo scenery. (I just like Stormsriver a little bit more...)

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
611 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oudsthoorn or Tsitsikamma

Hi, my 3 cents...

Storms river is beautiful, yes, I love staying there. However, it can be visited on your journey between Knysna and Addo - drive down into the reserve for lunch and walk over the mouth to the look out point. Whilst the reserve is simply stunning, its horrible when the wind is blowing, and you can 'get the feel' in a couple of hours, and it is a nice break in the drive.

Oudtshoorn is (well I live here so I am biased!) beautiful - there is just so much to do, and the contrast from the coast which is 55kms away is amazing. 2 days - be sure to drive the Swartberg Pass, and other than the caves and ostriches, you can see wild meerkats, have karoo-style tapas winetasting at Karusa, Olives & Pottery at Bella-Mia, ArtKaroo for a great local gallery, feed elephants at Buffelsdrift (or just go for a drink at the waterhole), dive with crocs at the Cango wildlife ranch... the list is endless. You just don't get this choice at Titsikamma.

Hope that helps!

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
452 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oudsthoorn or Tsitsikamma

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I think we will do an Oudtshoorn leg and just make sure to swing by Storms river on the way back through the garden route.