We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanity check on itinerary please

london
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sanity check on itinerary please

Hi everyone,

We are going to be in SA for 15 nights at the beginning of march. Flying in and out of cape town. My wife and I have been to SA before we had children and had an excellent time travelling around the garden route, Oudtshoorn & Franschhoek.

This time we are coming with two children, a one and a three year old. This limits ourselves somewhat to shorter car journeys and accommodation options.

So with a two hour driving limit, a modest budget and a maximum of 4 changes of location and many hours trawling through the forums I've come up with this:

Hout Bay - 7 nights - accommodation already booked.

Paternoster - 3 nights

Tulbagh - 3 nights

Stellenbosch - 2 nights

Sound like fun? I thought it represented a good mix of experiences of city, beach, mountains and wine. If not let me know. Also if you've any recommendations for child friendly places please tell me as a lot of places I've looked at do not accept younguns. We are on a budget of about R900 for accommodation per day and don't mind self catering.

Many thanks for your time,

Pete

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,139 posts
506 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanity check on itinerary please

I think your itinary looks good for a second visit and with children. Quite a few of the guest houses don't seem to take children under 12, so self catering may be a better option.

Try this link to see child friendly places in Stellenbosch

sa-venues.com/westerncape/…stellenbosch.php

There are lots of self catering cottages in Paternoster. I walked past lots of them when there in November. Paternoster has a great beach for kids. Just one tip, if you are self catering, do your shopping in Vredenberg. You drive through it on the way to Paternoster, which has no real shopping facilities.

www.stayinpaternoster.co.za has lots of cottages

Another place you might like to look at is a little further on from Tulbagh at Ceres. My friends stayed in a self catering cottage there, not in the town but outside in the country and loved it, as did their 2 year old!

Good luck with finding your accommodation

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sanity check on itinerary please

Hi Pete, sounds ok to me, if I had to nitpick I would say 7 nights in Hout Bay is a bit much. It's far from the city with attractions such as the Two Oceans aquarium, Table Mountain, and other things the kids will enjoy.

Also, I hope it's ok to ask this but it sounds like your second trip to SA and still no safari? Are you not very interested in wildlife? My guess is the three year old in particular would love a visit to Kruger, even Addo National Park if malaria is a concern for you. But that would mean a flight from Cape Town. Just a thought.

Onne

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sanity check on itinerary please

I think a week in Hout Bay with two very small children sounds fine at the start of your holiday, and after a long flight you will just want to chill. The beach is quite lovely, and the sea is fairly shallow in one part, always lots of children in the water.

There are many shops of all types, cafes and restaurants suitable for small children, and supermarkets too. There is also World of Birds and Seal Island and a market on the Green every Sunday. It is also very convenient for Kirstenbosch Gardens too.

The rest of the itinerary looks good. Not too much driving, and staying for 3 nights in each location means not too much packing and unpacking.

I personally think the children are too young to fully appreciate a safari. I would leave that for another visit when they are older.

london
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sanity check on itinerary please

Many thanks for all your replies. I'll check out those links for child friendly places Lisa. Ceres is an option I'm looking at.

@wildwings we will be going to a wedding in hout bay and will have some friends staying in the area so thought it would be a good place to stay. It's not too far from CT proper and from what I remember the drive is pretty spectacular.

And as cvh273 says I think the children are a little young to appreciate a safari, or at least won't remember ever going. It's definitely on the cards for the future though.

Thanks again,

Pete

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sanity check on itinerary please

I agree with the previous posts but just one word of hopefully pedantic warning - the drive time from Hout Bay to Paternoster is likely to be over three hours - there are a couple of possible stopping points - I seem to recall a rather basic tea shop with craft/farm shop and farm animals that might amuse a three year old on the right hand side of the road not long before you go past the West Coast NP.

From Paternoster to Tulbagh is also a 2.5 hour drive

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sanity check on itinerary please

You might like to stop at Langebaan Lagoon in the West Coast NP, a lovely area with a very nice restaurant, The Geelbek. It's a good place for the children to stretch their legs and have refreshments.

7. Re: Sanity check on itinerary please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2011, 05:18