We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wineries to visit

Arundel, United...
Level Contributor
376 posts
169 reviews
Save Topic
Wineries to visit

Planning a second visit to SA. We enjoyed visiting a few wineries last time but we are not particularly into the wine, more the scenery and gardens. Vergelegen was our favorite. Any other wineries for us to consider?

Camps Bay, South...
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wineries to visit

I love Dieu Donne in Franschhoek for the views of the valley. I often take a day trip there every few weeks and more often than not park in the centre and walk up to the wine farm.

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wineries to visit

For great views consider Delaire, Waterkloof, Hidden Valley, Uva Mira

For gardens - eat at Babel and view the gardens of Babylonstoren http://www.babylonstoren.com/

Worcester, South...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Wineries to visit

Visit the Breede Valley for fantastic scenery and wines! More than 20 wine cellars in the immediate Worcester area with Big 5 reserve and host of other activities in the area. Worcester Tourism Association (www.worcestertourism.com) will be able to help with planning and suggesting the perfect guides. Currently one tour operator based in Worcester - Bespoke Safaris & Events, visit them at www.bespokesafaris.net

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
381 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wineries to visit

La Motte in Franschhoek has always been a favourite of mine.

Now with a restaurant that offers a twist on traditional Afrikaans cuisine and the Jacob Hendrik Pierneef museum, it really is well worth a visit.

Not forgetting of course some wonderful wines!

Edited: 08 April 2011, 17:18
Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wineries to visit

Sussex Shelley - if you could tell us what area you are staying and perhaps where you have already been (although personally I repeat visit wineries that I have previously enjoyed) then it would allow us to give you more precise suggestions

Arundel, United...
Level Contributor
376 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wineries to visit

We plan to come for 3 weeks in November and to stay for 2 in the Simonstown area. For the other week I am thinking Franschhoek, Hermanus, maybe Worcester/ Robertson. On our first trip we visited a few wineries in Stellenbosch/Franschhoek; Boschendal & Vergelegen were the favorites, which we will re-visit.

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wineries to visit

whilst at Simonstown a day (or more !!) touring the Constantia wineries is a must - you obviously like the touristy but very attractive estates like Bischendal and Vergelegen so start your day in Constantia with Groot Constantia - there are some lovely Cape Dutch buildings which you can visit the interior of (there is even a barn with a wagon museum if I recall correctly) along with an informative museum section - there are some good wines too - tasting fee dependent upon what you want to taste.

Also very attractive but without the historical buildings are Klein Constantia, home to my favourite VDC (sorry VdC - you do come second!!) and Buiteverwachting (nice place for a lunch or picnic). More modern is Steenberg but again great for lunch and they now offer an amazing range of food and wine tasting combinations in their all new luxury tasting centre.

Next month I intend a thorough exploration of some of the newer wineries in Constantia such as Eagles Nest and I shall no doubt report back.

Hermanus is another good option for winetasting (again I shall be there next month) arguably the best wine is Hamilton Russell but tasting there is a slightly strange experience - you are packed into a quaint but little cottage and usually there are only two wines to taste but both the Pinot Noir and Chardonnay are excellent. Other good wineries in that area include Bouchard Finlayson, Newton Johnson, Ataraxia and Creation

The main Winelands area you already know - there are simply loads to choose from - for a combination of wine quality and beautiful setting then places like Rustenberg, Thelema, Boekenhoutskloof etc are hard to beat

Worcester, South...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Wineries to visit

The absolute beauty of the Breede River Valley and excellent wines of the area, are "pretty much" and have been, neglected by the typical "Cape Town Tourist" for many years! Not saying the Stellenbosch / Franschoek area's wines are not good, they are excellent... but spread your "adventurous wings" and discover the hidden treasures of the Breede Valley. It IS the biggest wine producing area of South Africa and more than 75% of SA's wines are from this Valley!! Robertson, also a very good option. I did mention contact details in my previous post... contact them?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
535 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wineries to visit

Worcester res

Hope you don't work for these???

I have stayed in Robertson and did enjoy my time there, especially as all the tastings were all free. But for me, it didn't quite have the"sparkle" or scenery of Stellenbosch / Franschhoek. Being the biggest wine producing area may not mean the best quality....

Sussexshelley - if you are thinking of an altenative option to the usual Franschhoek or Stellenbosch, how about the Elgin area? Some great smaller, very friendly wineries and stunning scenery

Lisa

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
107 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wineries to visit

Grande Provence, Franschhoek maybe... Haute Carriere... I am into the wine though...