We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 nights to spend in the Western Cape

UK
Level Contributor
112 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
5 nights to spend in the Western Cape

I originally planned to stay 12 days in Cape Town with day trips into the Western Cape. After reading a bit more about the area and having a slightly better idea of the distances involved, I consider staying in some Western Cape towns to have more time to explore at a leisurely pace.

We don't want to spent more than R500 per night as a couple. After some initial enquiries it seems that some B&B's are willing to give a slight discount if we would be willing to stay at the same spot for 2 nights or more. We will be in the area from 10-15 August 2011 and haven't booked accommodation yet.

I'm currently looking at Paternoster, Arniston, and Montagu. I wonder if Paternoster and Arniston might be very similar so that it would be worthwhile skipping one.

I orginally also considered Robertson as a base but as TA people favoured Montagu (and McGregor), I've abandoned that idea.

Is it a good idea to stay in Montagu for 2 nights or even longer or are there other spots that you would recommend instead.

To give you a bit more background: We both love being outdoors and enjoy nature. We are keen on wildlife. We like hiking but not for more than a few hours. We like wine but wine tasting is not our number one priority. We enjoy good food and would appreciate recommendations. Reuben in Robertson and the Montagu options are already on my radar. I'm not keen on driving more than 2 hours at a time.

I hope your recommendations will help us moving forward with our planning of our first visit to the Western Cape and SA. Thank you!

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 nights to spend in the Western Cape

Given what you say, I think I would opt for Arniston over Paternoster.

As far as the Breede River valley is concerned, Robertson is certainly more 'central' than both Montagu and McGregor. However, it is more of a 'town'.

If you want a totally relaxing environment then I would suggest McGregor - it really is a very special place. There are good places to eat, there are some wine farms and you will be able to walk from your accommodation straight into a nature reserve and do as much hiking as you wish. There are also art galeries, a potters, a donkey sanctury and lots of 'nature'.

It has a good and helpful tourist office and plenty of accommodation to choose from.

Edited: 20 May 2011, 07:03
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 nights to spend in the Western Cape

If you are into your hiking, why not consider the Cedarberg? It is not far from Cape Town and has some amazing hikes spanning 2 or 3 days -and if you're in a hiking hut you'll definitely stay for under R5000.

UK
Level Contributor
112 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 nights to spend in the Western Cape

macsym, you don't make it easy for me but I appreciate your input. I already thought to have it down to Montagu or Robertson but will reconsider now.

Can anyone give me an idea how the three Breede River valley locations compare to Ceres and Tulbagh?

I think the one big argument for Paternoster over Arniston are the sea food restaurants. I read that there is not much choice in Arniston. However, from Arniston I possibly could go to the De Hoop Nature Reserve for a day or so.

satpackpete, Cedarberg seems nice although mid-August might not be the best time to hike up in the mountains. I don't think that I can convince my girlfriend to do overnight hikes. Would it be worth a day trip or is that too short?

4. Re: 5 nights to spend in the Western Cape

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2012, 05:27