We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid-june for whale watching

Virginia
Level Contributor
117 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Mid-june for whale watching

Hi, we will be in Cape Town June 12-18, and are considering devoting a day or 2 to a whale watching tour (Hermanus/ Walker bay). I know that this is rather early for whales, but I also know from other posts around the world that some migrations are ocurring earlier than normal the last year or two (perhaps due to global warming). My question is whether anyone has noted that whales are arriving earlier in the Cape Town area this year.

Thanks for any information!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Mid-june for whale watching

A friend of mine lives on the False Bay coast and she has seen one whale so far.

Virginia
Level Contributor
117 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mid-june for whale watching

Thanks, that's very helpful in planning our trip! If only a few have arrived so far, I don't imagine that there will be hordes arriving over the next 3 weeks, so probably our time is better spent on other things. We have lots of other things to do!

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,521 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mid-june for whale watching

I checked with Captain Rudy Hughes - the now-retired friend of mine who started the boat-based whale watching in Walker Bay. 2 Southern Right whales in April - none since. Yes, they are late. On the other hand, massive schools of pilchards that have attracted as many as a hundred dolphins at once and tens of thousands of birds, mostly cormorants..

Virginia
Level Contributor
117 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mid-june for whale watching

Thanks so much for your rapid and very helpful response!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mid-june for whale watching

I'll be visiting Cape Town next week (July 6 - 12) - are we still to early for the whales? We could drive to Hermanus, or are there other sites within day trip distance (using a hire car) where we stand a good chance of seeing them?

As we only a have a few days in Cape Town I want to make the best use of time!

Thanks for any information

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,986 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mid-june for whale watching

Hi there PurpleHaye5

You can possibly have a look on the False Bay coast, but your luck on seeing might be slim. I live on the False Bay Coast and have not seen any around yet, but it might change over the next couple of weeks till the end of July. So before you make that trip to Hermanus, make sure that you will be able to find out if there are any around.

Regards

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours.

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mid-june for whale watching

I am living in Hermanus at the moment and there are very few whales here. They appear to be arriving very late this year compared to previous years. In the last 2 weeks I have had one good sighting of a breaching whale and a few others quite far away.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mid-june for whale watching

Thanks for all the updates, very useful. I'll keep my options open and check again when we get to Cape Town. But it sounds as if i should consider some other options.

9. Re: Mid-june for whale watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2012, 05:24