We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary with one day left! Suggestions?

Netherlands
Level Contributor
76 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary with one day left! Suggestions?

Hi,

I have almost planned our trip to Sa in January. We leave Jan 20th from Amsterdam to Cape Town and return on Saturday Febr. 4th.

We have been to SA before (around Johannesburg) and we LOVE it.

I have decide almost everything but I still have one day left. Would you suggest to spend that day in (for example) Wilderness, another day around Addo, somewhere inland (R62 or around Steytlerville), another day Stellenbosch. Any suggestions? We love nature and don't like really touristic places with a lot of people.

Arrive on day 1 late in the evening> Cape Town

day 2 Cape Town

day 3 Cape Town

day 4 Drive around the Cape and overnight somewhere between CT en Tsitsikamma National Park (will not book anything, we will just see how far we come after our trip around the Cape)

day 5 Drive to Nature Valley Tsitsikamma National Park

day 6 Nature Valley Tsitsikamma National Park

day7 Nature Valley Tsitsikamma National Park

day 8 drive to Addo stay in the park

day 9 Addo

day 10 drive from Addo to Groenfontein (near Oudtshoorn) taking the inland route (Willowmore, R 329)

day 11 Groenfontein

day 12 Groenfontein

day 13 drive to Stellenbosch

day 14 Stellenbosch

day 15 leaving SA very late in the evening so still a full day in Stellenbosch

Looking forward to any reactions.

Annelies

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary with one day left! Suggestions?

I know and love Groenfontein as a place to stay. But to schedule the same amount of time there as Cape Town - one of the world's great, scenic cities seems to me unbalanced. Cape Town has many places that you can get right way from people within 20 mins of the heart of the city. If you take the cable car 5 mins from the city you can then walk all day without seeing more than a few people - this is not the Netherlands!

I would take one day from Groenfontein and add to Cape Town as well as your extra day. Four days in and around Cape Town is, to me, the minimum.

Steytlerville is the archetypal one-street town. You will see the whole town in the 30 seconds it takes to drive through! The big reason to come this way from Addo is that you can very easily drive from Addo to Groenfontein in four or five hours with a couple of stops. Stop at the Verandah Coffee Shop in Steytlerville and chat to Michelle over your coffee. Find out what it's really like living in the middle of a semi-desert region!

January is still peak holiday time along the "Garden Route" so places like Plettenberg Bay, Knysna and Wilderness will be very busy. If you are looking for peace and quiet I wouldn't spend my extra time here.

Edited: 11 November 2011, 22:23
Netherlands
Level Contributor
76 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary with one day left! Suggestions?

Hi van de Caab!,

Thanks for your answer. Staying another day in Cape Town is another option! You are right.

How would you fill in your days in Cape Town?

Annelies

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,681 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary with one day left! Suggestions?

Annelies,

You need one full day to visit Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve.

You need another full day to spend time on Table Mountain and walk around the Waterfront.

You need a full day to do Constantia Wine Route and Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens.

You would need a full day to drive to Gordon's Bay and then along Clarens Drive (coastal route) to Hermanus. This is a lovely scenic route and should not be missed. En route there is a lovely Botanical Garden (Harold Porter, where you can walk to the Waterfall and see beautiful plants and fynbos). Should you be interested in Shark Cage Diving, schedule another full day (Gansbaai/Kleinbaai).

If you are interested in visiting Robben Island, schedule half a day.

There is SO MUCH to see and do in Cape Town; and then you also need to

relax and maybe sip a glass of wine whilst watching the sun go down - these are all moments you will treasure forever.

Netherlands
Level Contributor
76 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary with one day left! Suggestions?

Hi,

You are both big fans of Cape Town. Living in the town I see!

You make me very enthousiastic and I will stay longer in Cape Town.

Any suggestions for a B&B? I had my eye on a nice one in Rose Street (Bo Kaap) but you send me out of the centre most days so probably you have another idea for our ' home' (base) for 4-5 nights?

Annelies

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,681 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary with one day left! Suggestions?

Hi Annelies,

A lot depends on what your priorities are. I, personally, prefer de Waterkant to

Bo Kaap as the latter is a very safe area to walk around at night.

On the other hand, if I were to visit Cape Town for the first time, I would

like to be near the sea or in an area within walking distance of the Waterfront which is also safe at night.

Close to the sea, I would look at availabity and rates for Bantry Bay All Suite Hotel or the President Hotel (Bantry Bay/Sea Point area) on www.booking.com. In any event, suggest you book four star accommodation. There are buses that go from Sea Point to the Waterfront and City Centre.

Within walking distance of the Waterfront there is the Rockwell All Suite Hotel (Green Point) - try and get a suite that overlooks the harbour.

Both the Bantry Bay and Rockwell All Suite Hotels have kitchenettes/kitchens and it is always nice to have a refrigerator and cooking facilities in case you feel like a light snack.

Should you wish to sightsee, then there is the Hop-on-Hop-Off Bus which

stops close by to all three hotels and there are undercover parking facilities.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,681 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary with one day left! Suggestions?

And, on top of being Cape Town fans, you may not know that Cape Town has been nominated:

1. World Design Capital 2014

2. One of the World's Seven Natural Wonders (Table Mountain)

3. Tripadvisor Number one Destination in the World 2011

4. Number 2 in the World's favourite Food and Wine Cities.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,681 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary with one day left! Suggestions?

Apologies: in my post number 5, I meant to say that de Waterkant is a safe area to walk around at night.

8. Re: Itinerary with one day left! Suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2012, 10:27