We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary tried and tested

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
172 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary tried and tested

As a lot of people ask about itineraries on this forum, I thought it would be a good idea to share our experience which worked out for us from the 27th October to 8th November. We wanted to see a lot but didn't want to drive for hours each day either. So we did a circle from Cape Town to the middle of the Garden Route and back.

Day 1 - 5 Capetown Waterfront. Got 2 day pass for Hop on Off Bus which allowed us to use the Red and Blue Bus Routes and included a night tour to Signal Hill with wonderful views. Even if the weather is bad in Cape Town, we realised that it can be fine in Camps Bay, Constancia, etc.

Day 6 - Got taxi to airport (R200) to pick up car - didn't want to drive in Cape Town itself. Picked up car and was immediately on the road to Hermanus via Betty's Bay. The views on this route are stunning. Stopped off at Betty's Bay to see the penquins. Overnight at Hermanus. Saw whales.

Day 7 - Drove to Mossel Bay for 2 nights. Nice seaside town. Not sure if it would have been better to go on to George or Kynsna.

Day 9 - Drove from Mossel Bay to Oudtstroorn. Lovely place with a lot to see from the Cango Wildlife to the Cango ostrich which were brillant. As well as the Cango Caves which we didn't do. There's also Buffelsdrift up the road which is a game lodge but you can go to it for coffee and see the hippos in the lake.

Day 10 - Drove from Oudtstroorn to Barrydale late afternoon. Route 62 Lovely drive.

Day 11 - Drove from Barrydale to Sanbona Wildlife Safari Park - expensive but well worth it.

Day 12 - Drove from Sanbona to Stellenbosh. Lovely drive. Used the tunnel (R260) Left Sanbona noon 36o. Arrived in Stellenbosh 25o. Visited Spier Cheetah sanctuary - well worth a visit where you can stroke baby cheetahs or adult cheetahs.

Day 13 - Short drive from Stellenbosh to airport.

The scenery is stunning which has a lot of mountains. Because of the mountains the temperature varies big time. For example the temperature in Swellendam could be 20o whereas over the mountains in Barrydale it could be 30o.

Hope this helps with other itinearies. Any questions just ask.

South Africa
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary tried and tested

Excellent itinerary - except I would have probably gone from Outdshorn over the Swartberg pass to Prince Albert - a lovely town and worth the drive over the Swartberg - then onto Matjiesfontein for a night of Victorian history in the Lord Milner Hotel and a must see for anyone visiting South Africa. Then I would do the Aquila Game Reserve before going on to Stellenbosh.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,607 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary tried and tested

I think I agree with you that you should have ventured a little further into the Garden Route to Knysna. The best scenery is after Mossel Bay. I also like that you spent nearly half your time In Cape Town. There is so much to see in the city and I often think people short change themselves. You have shown that you can do Cape Town without a car. However, I always like to have a car. The sights are pretty spaced out and tours can eat into your ££. I also like the flexibility of a car for those spur of the moment ideas.

The Western Cape makes a great place for a holiday - city, countryside, mountains, sea, good food and wine......I could go on!! The diversity is probably why some many people return. Trip number 4 planned for this time next year!!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary tried and tested

Hi there

Yes, you should have driven further than Mosselbay and also explore The Wilderness, Knysna and also Plettenberg Bay. But no worries, that will be more than enough reason for you to come back and do it again, just then start from Port Elizabeth side. You got a very good drive in with some very good scenery. Would like to have you back again some time soon.

Hank - Ulungele Tours

4. Re: Itinerary tried and tested

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 03:41