We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Accident Fund - how does it work?

washington dc
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Road Accident Fund - how does it work?

I've been trying to find a rental car agency that will give us liability coverage in the event that we cause an accident, but not one of the Cape Town companies I've researched (Tempest, Avis, Hertz, Budget, Europcar, AroundAboutCars) offers it; they only offer CDW, theft, and PAI, none of which cover the *other* car or its passengers. In my research, however, I came across mentions of the Road Accident Fund (RAF), a fuel surcharge that sounds as if it might provide me with liability coverage in the event that I cause an accident (www.raf.co.za/RAFProfile/Pages/Profile.aspx). Can anyone who knows more about this law confirm whether I'm interpreting it correctly?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer! I'm certainly not planning to cause an accident, but I'm uncomfortable with the idea of driving around with *no* coverage whatsoever for the other party if that should happen.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
189 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Accident Fund - how does it work?

You can read up on the RAF at www.raf.co.za - where I got the following: - "The RAF provides compulsory cover to all users of South African roads, resident or foreigner, against injuries sustained or death arising from accidents involving motor vehicles within the borders of South Africa. This cover is in the form of indemnity insurance to persons who cause the accident, as well as personal injury and death insurance to victims of motor vehicle accidents and their families.

2. Re: Road Accident Fund - how does it work?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 14:41