We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finding a new route

Oban, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Finding a new route

We have been to S Africa three times and love it. Going back in January and would like to know if anyone has information about the north west Cape area. We are considering taking the R27 up to Paternoster, and visiting Darling, etc., and Citrusdel which seems to be the fruit growing area. How many days should we build in, any information would be welcome, having trouble hetting much from the guide books which many cover the obvious routes. Thank you in advance.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finding a new route

Hi there

I would at least suggest 2days for Paternoster, 2days for Darling and 3days for Citrusdal. All worth the trip.

Regards

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,976 posts
552 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finding a new route

Hi

Good choice of a new area to visit! Paternoster is one of my favourite villages. I have stayed one night in Darling before, but probably wouldn't again. There wasn't too much to do. But it is definitely worth a visit on your way up the West Coast. Som nice wineries to visit and have lunch at the Marmelade Cat - then look at the ecclectic shop next door! We also loved Darling Olives. They do all things olive here from table olives, olive oil, tapenade, olive chocolate(!!) and beauty products.

Then head up to Paternoster and spend 3 nights here. I can recommend Ah for wonderful food and super friendly hospitality. Paternoster is a bit of a foodies delight with some excellent restaurants. You can spend the day walking and relaxing on the beach and walking around in the village, drive out to Langebaan lagoon, visit Veldrift for flamingoes and pelicans.Very easy to fill 3 nights here. Then I would drive to Citrusdal for 2 nights. You are on the southern edge of the Cederberg here. Beautiful mountain scenery and yes citrus fruits!

I would say 5 nights is enough in this area, if it is part of a bigger trip around the Western Cape

Lisa

3. Re: Finding a new route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 01:40