We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budgeting our days: Capetown, Franschhoek and Garden Route

Level Contributor
4 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Budgeting our days: Capetown, Franschhoek and Garden Route

We plan to spend 8-9 nights in the Western Cape region with at least 3 nights in Capetown and 3 nights in Franschhoek. Is it worth the time and effort to drive the garden route or just spend more time in the Franschhoek area?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,962 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budgeting our days: Capetown, Franschhoek and Garden Route

You do not need 3nights in Franschoek, 2nights will be more than enough. And yes it is worth the trip if you can spend 3nights there and then make it a round trip and back to Cape Town.

For example:

3 nights Cape Town

2 nights Franschoek

1 night Oudtshoorn

2 nights Knysna

1 night back in Cape Town

Hank Daries - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,322 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budgeting our days: Capetown, Franschhoek and Garden Route

Hi

Not sure I agree with Hank! It really depends what you want out of your holiday. That is a lot of driving in a short time scale. You will miss some of the beauty of the area, beacause you are behind the wheel!

If this is your first visit, then I would definitely spend longer than 3 days in Cape Town. There is so much to see and do - at least 4 days and possibly 5

I could easily spend 3 days in the winelands area. as I have said mny times on here before, there is much more to the winelands than just wine!

Then you could maybe do a trip to the Overberg coast and the Hermanus area. Depending on when you are visiting, there may be whales in the bay. But again another favourite region of mine, with lots to do and some stunning coastal scenery and beautiful beaches

It is up to you, but in such a short time, I wouldn't waste a chunk of it travelling over to the Garden Route

Lisa

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,962 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budgeting our days: Capetown, Franschhoek and Garden Route

I have to agree with you on that, Lisa, but if the guest is not coming back soon to South Africa, and this is a once in a lifetime visit, i think they should fit in as much as possible. It is easy driving and they have time to take all the scenery in and make the best of their holiday.

Hank Daries - Owner - Ulungele Tours

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budgeting our days: Capetown, Franschhoek and Garden Route

Hank - I couldn't help laugh at your comment about a "once in a lifetime trip to SA". We did a "once in a lifetime" in 2008 and are just embarking on our 3rd visit. SA is so beautiful and there is so much to see that one visit is never enough!!!!!

5. Re: Budgeting our days: Capetown, Franschhoek and Garden Route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 18:18