We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine trip

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
Wine trip

We staying in Constantia Valley (obviously with several wine estates close by) but are interested in visiting Stellenbosch or franschoek for wine tasting. Because we like a drink we thought we might spend one night in one or the other. The question is in view of the latest drink/driving legislation, can we walk to wine estates from either place. Which would be best??

Mentioned in this post
Stellenbosch
Stellenbosch
Western Cape, South Africa
R62 Adventure Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Wine Tours & Tastings
Womerus
Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
African King Tours
Wine Tours & Tastings , Day Trips
Classic Cats
Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Wine trip

Many thanks for the kind words about our Waterkloof Circumstance Rose! Hope to see you at Waterkloof one day! Louis Boutinot- Waterkloof Estate

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
608 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Wine trip

BTM just bought some currency at 13.84. I was in SA 4 years ago when the rate was almost 15. It makes your holiday so much more affordable. Hopefuly it will encourage more Europeans to visit this wonderful country

Also like Rustenburg and Neil Ellis also othe last? Their new tasting room looks interesting!

Lisa

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
608 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Wine trip

Louis intend to be at Waterkloof on 5 th December on our way from Cape Town to Caledon. You have one of the best views ithe winelands!

It is also relatively easy to find your wines in the UK. I also like your Circumstance Sauvignon Blanc

Manchester is a long way from Cape Town????

Lisa

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Wine trip

Might try Waterkloof ourselves - nice to try a rose recommended by someone. Might even be 5th November - I promised I would let you have my mobile number so that perhaps could meet up at some stage - will do it in the next couple of weeks.

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Wine trip

Joyce - apologies but I shall slightly hijack your post and respond to Lisa on Neil Ellis

The tasting rooms are indeed very smart but I felt that they could make better use of the whole facility they have - there was no outdoor facility when I was there and not even a coffee machine, let alone a cafe or posh restaurant. The tastings are done in a number of ways depending upon the price you want to pay - one of the more expensive tastings in the area. When I was there I thought the tasting experience was a little cold with disinterest from the staff but then it was about 10.00 am on a Monday morning- however the wines are uniformly good to excellent

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Wine trip

Not a problem your hijack. You are all so knowledgable. I know nothing but know what I like. We will visit loads of wine estates and probably, rather than tasting, we will buy bottles and take them back to our holiday cottage. That way we can enjoy in peace and perhaps return for further supplies!!!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
608 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Wine trip

Hi BTM

Thanks for your info on Neil Ellis. Hopefully the tasting is not as cold as that up the road at Thelema! A poor tasting does effect how I feel about the wines, especially if it is a winery I have been really looking forward to visiting.

I will probably be visiting on a Tuesday morning but will try to make it 10.30 am!

Any wineries you think I should try, that I might not have? Also planning on visiting Wellington, Paarl, Elgin, Durbanville, Constantia, Riebek Kasteel, Robertson, Walker Bay, Bot River!!

Joyce another winery I like quite close to Kanonkop is Quoin Rock. Very

friendly and lovely tasting room.

Definitely visit Waterkloof. Their tasting room is amazing....a glass box on the hill overlooking False Bay. If you are wanting a posh lunch treat then their restaurant gets excellent reviews.

I also like Lourensford in Somerset West. Lots to do here apart from just wine tasting and I hear they have just opened a new restaurant which is reasonably priced

I also like to buy a few bottles and clink along in the car as my collection grows! Don't forget most restaurants let you take your own wine for a small corkage fee

Happy drinking!

Lisa

Mentioned in this post
Wellington
Wellington
Paarl
Paarl
Robertson
Robertson
Walker Bay
Walker Bay
2 Reviews
18. Re: Wine trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2013, 10:15