We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riebeek Kasteel

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Topic
Riebeek Kasteel

We're thinking of spending a couple of days in the Riebeek Valley on our next visit, and wondered if anyone can recommend a b&b and restaurants in the area. We have visited the area before when we stayed in Tulbagh but would like to spend more time in Riebeek if we can find the right accommodation.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
842 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riebeek Kasteel

Ditto we thought exactly the same and I have done a lot of research into where to stay - eventually decided on De Langenhof Guest House as it ticks all the boxes and have booked to stay there for 2 nights.(lovely entry in The Greenwood Guide) We'll definately eat at The Royal Hotel one night, it seems to have a nice feel to it with sundowners on their stoep - their menu is online and looks very good..Still deciding about the 2nd night, anyone have a recommendation??

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riebeek Kasteel

I have only been there once - we thought we would be visiting a quiet little dorp with a few wineries nearby - imagine our surprise when we hit traffic jams before we got to the town centre and discovered about 25.000 South Africans having a barbecue and an olive festival

We really enjoyed Cafe Felix and the Old Oak Manor has rooms. More traditional/upmarket would be The Royal Hotel.

Have a look at this

http://www.riebeekvalley.info/index.htm

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,261 posts
514 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riebeek Kasteel

Hi

Bar bar black sheep supposed to be good for food

Then there's the Old Pastorie (spp?) which is owned by Kloovenberg. Was deciding on this and Bovlei Valley Retreat in Wellington

Some very good Shirazs in this region

Lisa

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Riebeek Kasteel

Thanks to you all. I just knew I'd get some excellent recommendations from you regulars. Will investigate them all.

Lisa, enjoy your trip. I'll look forward to reading your reviews.

Edited: 01 November 2012, 19:23
McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riebeek Kasteel

I have enjoyed meals at Ba Ba Black Sheep, but its not everyones cup of tea.

Olive oil and olives at Kloovenberg are very good!

Royal hotel looks good but have had mixed reports

Edited: 02 November 2012, 11:59
McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riebeek Kasteel

Sorry Bar Bar Black Sheep!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,261 posts
514 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riebeek Kasteel

I second the olives and their tapenades at Kloovenberg. They also do some nice olive body products. So not all wine here! On my profile picture I am actually sttod outside Kloovenberg.....

I am also going to visit the Olive Boutique, so will let you know on that too

A friend of mine has recommended Allesverloren in Riebeek Kasteel for their port, which is something different to try

Lisa

8. Re: Riebeek Kasteel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2013, 10:19