We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West coast October 2014

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
177 reviews
Save Topic
West coast October 2014

Apart from our March visit next year I've also just booked flights for Oct. 2014 for 3 weeks in the Cape. We'll be making our first trip up the west coast & would really appreciate suggestions for a 10-12 day itinerary. Our first stop will be Paternoster for 4 nights & we won't travel further north than Clanwilliam before swinging back south to CT on an inland route.

Walking is good & obviously I'm aware of some wine production in that area. Any help would be much appreciated re accommodation, food & other activities. I write as an active "baby boomer"!

shropshire
Level Contributor
126 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West coast October 2014

I am sure that others will agree with me, if you are staying in Paternoster, then the AH! Guest House is the place to rest your head. Arnold's food is to die for, and is up there with the best restaurants in Cape Town and the winelands. We have stayed there many times, and adore Paternoster. We also enjoy Darling, we do not stay there, but visit from Paternoster.

Enjoy !

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West coast October 2014

Thanks Alicia. I looked at AH last night & it looks perfect. Do you have a favourite room? N

Paris, France
Level Contributor
853 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: West coast October 2014

Nic - If you like history, eccentricity, good food, long farm walks and convivial company then you should stay with Julian Melck at Kersefontein near Hopefield www.kersefontein.co.za Only just under an hour's drive from Paternoster so we often combine staying at the 2 places.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: West coast October 2014

Thanks FP, I'll have a look. As ever, the TA community rallies round!!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,491 posts
581 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: West coast October 2014

Hi Nic

The orange or red rooms are my favourites at Ah, but any of the rooms that lead onto the roof terrace

I actually didn't enjoy Clanwilliam. Felt like a one horse town but I know other people enjoy staying there

Don't forget a day trip to the Langebaan lagoon and West Coast National Park

Lisa

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: West coast October 2014

Thanks Lisa. I've heard from AH & they recommend the Orange Room. My only concern was that I'm 1.93 m tall & didn't want to bump my head on the sloping roof.

Langebaan for a lunch stop I think & Riebeek Kasteel for a couple of days on the trip back to CT.

We want to do some walking in the Clanwilliam area & also a visit to Cederberg Wines. Their Shiraz blows my socks off.

Hope there's more to eat than horse flesh!! ;-)

It looks as though I have a plan.

Blackburn
Level Contributor
345 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: West coast October 2014

Blooming heck Nick 2 holidays in SA next year we are only 4 weeks away not that I'm counting

Paris, France
Level Contributor
853 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: West coast October 2014

Nic - Will be interested to hear where you are thinking of staying at Riebeek Kasteel, as we were unlucky with our choice last year.

shropshire
Level Contributor
126 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: West coast October 2014

Nic- Love the orange room, but all the rooms are a delight. Hope that you do not like to be up and off on your 'sightseeing' early, as Arnolds breakfast is a long and leisurely affair-wonderful. You will certainly not need a lunch stop !

We also did not care for Clanwilliam, but you should try and see the Langebaan Lagoon, although this area is now quite built up compared to how it used to be.

We love Riebeek Kasteel, has a quaint feel to it.

After 14 years holidaying in this wonderful country, we are having a break for 2 years (getting older ) but reading this forum brings back such happy memories.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: West coast October 2014

Any suggestions for Riebeek Kasteel will be much appreciated. At the moment friends in CT recommend the Royal Hotel. Although we normally prefer B&Bs, on the surface it looks OK as it's rather grand & old, like me!!

Bickers, Margie will tell you just how lucky we've been with the flights for the Oct trip. I can't tell you on here in case BA rumble me.