We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shark dive for someone scared of boats?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
266 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Shark dive for someone scared of boats?

Hello this may seem a very silly question! I am a bit scared of boats, sea sickness etc but I am intrigued by the shark diving in Gans Baai, we do have great white diving here in adelaide but its a bit different to SA.

So would you recommend it for someone who is scared of boats and gets seasick? How long is the trip out there? Is it very safe? Yes I am a scaredy-cat! We are in Cape Town in 2 weeks time.. Any advice greatly appreciated!!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shark dive for someone scared of boats?

LKK I would advise a definite no, I have owned a yacht for over 30 yrs. and have had guests who got sea sick not in bad conditions (not many) who didn’t think they were prone to. , I took them back to the dock as they were dry retching, miserable. But a charter boat whose skipper depends on tourists for his and others for their livelihoods won’t nor should if the person knows they are prone to motion sickness. Those boats are compliant as much as they can be with the Maritime regulations but policing is a different issue (same here). You will go offshore and the chop, swells with a short draft power boat, plus fumes will not be conducive to a nice trip.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shark dive for someone scared of boats?

LKK Not a silly question. Not different to SA really. The ocean is the same, be it off Adelaide or Gans Baai. Sea sickness is a most unpleasant feeling and debilitating. Agree with Stargaize . Even simple swells for some are not pleasant. My yacht is deep keel so gives some stability, but in an a gentle ocean swell (very rare) can cause motion sickness to guests not used to being on the ocean blue. However, the shallow draft power boat as this would be... even worse. Spend your time not feeling scared or driving the porcelain bus. Why waste 24 hours feeling foul..

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shark dive for someone scared of boats?

Hi LKK

If you want to dive with sharks without going to sea. Look at diving in the large shark tank at the Cape Town Aquarium. Much smaller sharks than Great Whites but deifinitely no seasickness! You do need a basic scuba licence, but you can get that at the aquarium as well!

http://www.aquarium.co.za/diving/

Or maybe just go and watch the others diving - you still see the Sharks!

Edited: 17 January 2014, 17:23
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
266 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shark dive for someone scared of boats?

Thanks for the feedback it's a tough call - as you say if you're on a boat full of other people you can't really go back! A few years ago we went to the outer barrier reef on a catamaran the wind was 25knots. I was pretty scared but managed it ok and would do it again. I think it's unlikely we'll do the shark dive on this trip mainly because I don't know how I would go being stuck out there for a while - I presume the trips are a few hours accounting for everyone getting their shot.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shark dive for someone scared of boats?

I've been following karead's blog - Here's their account.

travelwithkevinandruth.com/2014/01/cage-divi…

6. Re: Shark dive for someone scared of boats?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2015, 06:20