We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

THE best winery to visit?

Belgium
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Topic
THE best winery to visit?

We are really wine lovers (chardonnay, shiraz...) and are looking for the best 2 quality wineries to visit in the Western Cape.

For us is important :

- the quality of the wines during the wine tasting (no sparkling wines),

- a beautiful mountain view surrounding the winery

and

- a beautiful cellar visit

all locations are open to us (Franschhoek, Stellenbosch, ...)

Thanks!

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,248 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: THE best winery to visit?

There are many "best" wineries.

It greatly depends one's budget, one's taste in wine style, and cultivar, as to which "best" one would want to visit.

Perhaps investing in the latest Platter's Wine Guide will assist you.

It is available in hard copy, and online.

Simply Google "Platters wine guide".

Enjoy

Edited: 07 May 2014, 13:03
Belgium
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: THE best winery to visit?

Hi Gavin,

I have done that already, but that only give you information about the wine itself.

not about the surroundings of the winery and not if they give a cellar tour or not.

the wineries we had in mind are (in no particular order:

1. Vergelegen

2. Boschendal

3. Nederburg

4. Grande Provence

5. Vrede en Lust

6. Rust en Vrede

7. Meerlust.

But we cannot really decide which two to select. We know they all have good wines during their tastings, but are unsure about their cellar visits and their surroundings. We like the have a mountain view around the winery ( my hysband's a keen photographer).

Any suggestions for the top 2 in the list above?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: THE best winery to visit?

I don't think you can define the'best 2 wineries' as they are all subjective in what appeals to different individuals. However I can certainly point u in the right direction... If dealing quality of wine then you won't go far wrong with Meerlust, Kanonkop, Rust En Vrede or the shiraz at Saxenberg. If scenery and a great view are more important then the view from either Ernie Els or Stark Conde are hard to beat. Quoin Rock, Uva Mira, Thelema are also notable in this respect. All of the above are found in Stellenbosch. Eagles Nest in Constantia is another with a great set up

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
530 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: THE best winery to visit?

Hi

This is a very difficult question to answer. I can probably give you a top 20!

So for Chardonnay and Shiraz, I would maybe pick Glen Carlou in Paarl. There are beautiful views towards the Paarl mountains and a nice deck from which to taste the wines. I've always had good service.

One of my favourite wine experiences is Creation, close to Hermanus. It has it all - views, wine, knowledgable staffand Avery good wine and food pairing, but it's far from F or S.

I agree that Eagle's Nest has an excellent Shiraz, but prefer to go a little up the road to Constantia Glen. Better views, great red blends and Sauvignon Blanc.

Stony Brook in Franschhoek also has excellent wines but you need to make an appointment. Quite rustic but wonderfully out of the way and a personal tasting

Ok, so that's four, so I need to stop!

Lisa

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: THE best winery to visit?

Simply focussing on the areas and ignoring the specific vineyards for a minute, it's hard to beat Franschhoek for views. it's surrounded by mountains and you really are in the valley. The fact that the valley produces great wines is a huge bonus.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: THE best winery to visit?

I totally agree with the Eagles Nest Shiraz, it is excellent! And if you go there why not pop in next door to Constantia Glen for a nice platter of cheeses/deli meats etc and some more wine. The view are spectacular and they do a very nice Sauv. Blanc. But can't recall of either of these wineries do Chardonnay as I'm not a fan.

In the Stellenbosch region I can absolutely recommend Stark Conde, excellent reds and magnificent views...probably the best in the area IMHO.

Very difficult to choose just one as I can probably also give you a top 20.

From the list you provided in all honesty the only one I'd go to if I've got limited time and options is Vrede & Lust - excellent wines and views. And maybe Meerlust for their Rubicon but they are a bit out of the way and the views aren't comparable to some of the others listed.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
950 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: THE best winery to visit?

Why only 2? You can visit quite a few more if you spend a full day in Stellenbosch and Franschhoek, but if you want a full wine experience you should stay over in that region and spend a few days visiting many wineries.

Regarding mountains, this entire region is very mountainous so you'll see the mountains from almost everywhere.

All the comments here are correct and most specifically the ones that say it's subjective. Some people love a wine that others dislike or are unimpressed with.

Be adventurous, drive into the winelands and stop wherever you see something that appeals to you.

8. Re: THE best winery to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2015, 05:17