We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help / advice

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help / advice

Fellow travelers,

We are going to be in South Africa for two weeks (mid to end October) with our 9 month old baby. The first week is for work (and seeing Cape town) and the next week for the garden route. Wanted to see if there are any comments on our proposed itinerary / choice of hotels below? Especially keen to hear about whether we stop overnight at Swellendam/Montagu/Robertson or somewhere else on the drive back from Plett to Franschhoek (we want to split up the drive no the return).

Is the drive from Cape Town to Knysna doable in 6-7 hours? Advisable with a (well-behaved!) infant?

Cheers-

25th Oct - Depart Cape Town mid-morning; get to Knysna late evening (Conrad Pezula)

26th - Knysna

27th - Plettenberg Bay (Robberg Beach Lodge)

28th - Plettenberg Bay (day trip to Storms River)

29th - Plettenberg Bay

30th - Swellendam/Montagu/Robertson

31st Friday - Stellenbosch (Clouds Estate)

1st Nov Sat - Stellenbosch

2nd Nov Sun - Stellenbosch / Drive to Cape Town airport for the flight at night

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Itinerary help / advice

We have done it in 4 hours when there was a sick child onboard.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
158 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Itinerary help / advice

I concur with responses. I would choose either Plettenberg or Knysna (I prefer). You might consider staying at the SAN park accommodations at Tsitsikamma/Storms River. Spectacular cabins just feet from the rock and waves. There is a very nice restaurant on site. And the drive from Cape Town to Knysna is very doable. I just did in January.

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Itinerary help / advice

4 hours !!! You must have broken speed limits to do it in that time, not advisable to tourists. Hermanus is only 1 hour from Cape Town so would not suggest breaking up journey here, you should try to get half way at least, Swellendam or Witsand or even further. I wouldn't drive in the dark unless around town, there is no lighting along the major highway N2.

14. Re: Itinerary help / advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 06:18