We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Town to stay in between Knysna and Cape Town?

Maine
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Town to stay in between Knysna and Cape Town?

In August, we will be heading back from Knysna early on a Wednesday morning. We need to be at the Cape Town Airport by mid-afternoon on Thursday. I am trying to figure out the route to take, as well as a town to stay in Wednesday night. I will be travelling with my parents, who are in their late 70s. We don't mind taking a longer route if it's more scenic. Thanks for your help!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Town to stay in between Knysna and Cape Town?

Suggest you go via George, Oudtshoorn, Calitzdorp, Ladismith, Barrydale to overnight at Montagu. Next day a slight detour to Bonnievale, then Robertson, Worcester, detour into Paarl if time permits, lunch in Stellenbosch, Airport.

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Town to stay in between Knysna and Cape Town?

Or for the coast stay on the N2 to Witsand, take this turn then take the road to the Malgas punt cross the Breede River, places to stay at are Infanta, Arniston, Struisbaai, De Kelders, you should see whales this time of year.

Bonnievale was a dump when I visited years ago, has it changed much Gerald? If not forget this place.

Bloemfontein, South...
Level Contributor
90 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Town to stay in between Knysna and Cape Town?

Hi Teece

There is always the option of staying at the Bontebok National Park. It is located roughly halfway between Cape Town and Knysna.

http://www.sanparks.co.za/parks/bontebok/

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Town to stay in between Knysna and Cape Town?

if you want to be nearer CT airport, you could do the route George, Oudtshoorn and press onto Franschoek , a beautiful place and handy for the airport. No need to go into CT ,but it will be a long drive , perhaps up to 6 hours .

Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
532 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Town to stay in between Knysna and Cape Town?

Return on the N2 and stay at Albertinia - there is a wonderful old Hotel there called Albertinia Hotel - see http://www.albertiniahotel.co.za/ Your parents will love it, and the food is excellent

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Town to stay in between Knysna and Cape Town?

Bonnievale is still undeveloped in terms of tourism, but the stretch of road from Bonnievale to Robertson is extremely scenic with a couple of wineries and restaurants on the Breede river.

Ipswich, England...
Level Contributor
429 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Town to stay in between Knysna and Cape Town?

We stayed at Bontebok and had a couple of peaceful, relaxing days in one of their very nice chalets. If you choose to do this, bear in mind that gates are locked at 7 pm so you need to have all your provisions with you. We had to do a quick dash to the supermarket in town. There is no restaurant in the park and the shop only stocks very basic snacks.

Leipzig, Germany
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Town to stay in between Knysna and Cape Town?

Hi

Next town to Bontebok NP is Swellendam. It's a beautiful historic small town with some very good hotels and restaurants.

Maine
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Town to stay in between Knysna and Cape Town?

Thanks for all the suggestions! I ended up with a pretty B&B in Swellendam.

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Town to stay in between Knysna and Cape Town?

Thanks for the update Gerald.