We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winery suggestions for a Sundowner

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
97 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Winery suggestions for a Sundowner

Hi all,

Looking for a suggestion for a place to grab a sundowner between Gordon's Bay and Stellenbosch/Franschhoek...it would be a Wednesday in late November

We will be doing a shark cage dive in the morning and then making our way up to Franschhoek or Stellenbosch for the evening. We plan on driving by Betty's Bay to see the penguins and then driving up past Gordon's Bay. Shark Diving ends at 14:00. After showering, changing and refueling we should be on the road by 15:00. Driving time between Gansbaai and Gordon's Bay (allowing time for a stop for a picture or two) is around 2 hours. Adding 1.5 more hours for a quick lunch and to stop and see the penguins puts us in Gordon's Bay around 18:30.

It looks as though most wineries will be closed... and most of the restaurants will be a bit fancier than what we want (wont be looking for a big meal, just a glass and a starter or 2 to share)

Peter Falke is open until 19:00 but that is pushing it...

Uva Mira only does its evening tastings only on the weekends...

So far we are debating between the Restaurant at Waterkloof - Is the atmosphere relaxed?

Delaire Graff Estate - setting looks great, but again, not really a place to grab a glass and just a starter it seems.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,104 posts
552 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winery suggestions for a Sundowner

Hi

Waterkloof is a great setting but I wouldn't say it's relaxed. So is Delaire Graff but not so relaxed, although Indochine at Delaire Graff may fit the bill, if you like Asian food.

Have you looked at Guardian Peak, open Wednesday to Saturday from 18.30.

Or La Pwtite Ferme in Franschhoek?

Lisa

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winery suggestions for a Sundowner

Would Tokara fit he bill?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
97 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winery suggestions for a Sundowner

Thanks for the suggestions, it appears as though Guardian Peak's menu is more conducive to what we are looking for!

We were also considering La Petite Ferme if we thought we could make it there in time to enjoy the views. It says sunset is around 19:30 at the end of November, which means we'd likely want to get there by 19:00 in order to enjoy the views before dark.

If we do go straight to Franschhoek from Gordon's Bay would it be best to go R321 - R45 through the Franschhoek Pass or head through Stellenbosch? According to Google its about the same travel time but I realize real world can be much different.

Thanks again for the input, so many decisions, but this does help!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winery suggestions for a Sundowner

Both routes about 1hour 10 minutes

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,104 posts
552 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winery suggestions for a Sundowner

I think you will be pushing it to get to Franschhoek in time to sit down, relax, order a drink and see sunset.

I have eaten lunch at Guardian Peak and loved it, very friendly and pretty chilled atmosphere. The views along the Valley are beautiful. I think Tokara is too formal for what you are looking for, although I agree the views are fabulous, as they are across the road at Delaire Graff

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winery suggestions for a Sundowner

For the view you can't beat Tokara. You look right across the Stellenbosch valley & the sun sets behind Table Mountain which is on the far horizon. We enjoyed that very same experience a couple of years ago.

Although it's a large dining room they are very friendly & helpful staff. Why not contact them in advance & ask them if instead of a full meal would they be happy to serve you a couple of starters while you enjoy your drinks?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winery suggestions for a Sundowner

I have never dined at Tokara, but have happened to meet the owner on a couple of occasions. He always came across as relaxed and so I just thought that the restaurant may also be relaxed. But since posting above, I learnt that he has rented the restaurant out and has no say in how it operates.

8. Re: Winery suggestions for a Sundowner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2015, 05:18