We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation for disabled traveller

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Bedfordshire...
Level Contributor
808 posts
228 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation for disabled traveller

Hi It's been about seven years since visiting South Africa. My husband was must fitter than he is now at getting around. We would like to stay as near to the beach as possible. He can climb a few steps but is unable to walk distances, He uses is wheelchair only outside. Looking for either a small hotel b&b or small self catering accommodation with a pool. We did hire a care on our previous visit but would prefer not to that now.

thanks

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,067 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation for disabled traveller

Hi there

Have a look at Villa Zest Hotel, Olaf's Guest House, City Lodge Waterfront, Azamare Guest House in Camps Bay, Ocean View Guest House, The Cape Milner Hotel and also maybe 40Winks Guest House in Sea Point.

Regards

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Bedfordshire...
Level Contributor
808 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation for disabled traveller

Many thanks for you suggestions - I particularly like Azamare guest house. We wanted to travel at xmas but the flights are quite unbelievably high. I know it the most expensive time to travel where ever you go. However, the flight prices for South Africa are outrageous!!!!

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation for disabled traveller

hi happyholiday

please check out this website

sa-venues.com/wheelchairfriendly-westerncape…

my husband also has walking and mobility problems but does not use a wheelchair . A few weeks ago, we stayed at the Primi Royal, Camps Bay on the top floor which has a huge sea facing balcony and a nice seating area inside, so plenty of room if you don't fancy going out all the time. You can also arrange for really nice food to be delivered from their sister restaurant in Camps Bay. . There are approx. 4 steps up to the property from the street, , then a lift to the floors and reception. The shower was very spacious but not kitted out for the disabled. However, we travel everywhere with a shower mat and portable grab rail.

The walk into Camps Bay and the beach was several hundred yards down a hill, it may be a bit of a push up the hill though with a wheelchair .

I looked around for guesthouses 'on the flat' near the beach and restaurants, but they are a bit thin on the ground as Camps Bay is very hilly . .

It was quiet a task finding somewhere to stay for a disabled person, although I guess the large hotels at V&A would have disabled facilities.

The Bay Hotel at Camps Bay does have such facilities but they are VERY expensive.

We spent 15 days touring the Garden Route to Port Elizabeth, so please contact me for any advice I can offer. I know just how difficult it can be to arrange a holiday for someone less able.

Bedfordshire...
Level Contributor
808 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation for disabled traveller

Thank you Gem166, the link is very useful!!

My husband takes a manual wheelchair if we can't hire one. Yes, I know Camps Bay is very hilly. Like you say accommodation on the flat would be better. However, I guess we would be able to take a taxis.

Where ever we visit we take lots of taxi's.

Do you think it would be better to stay in Cape Town and get taxi's to camps bay? I would like the best beach for my husband.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation for disabled traveller

Personally ,was not impressed with Cape Town City and would much prefer to stay in other areas. I expect V&A would be OK as the large hotels have pools, proper disabled facilities and you wouldn't need to walk far for eating out in the evening. At the main Information desk in the V&A, you can borrow a wheelchair for a small deposit.

Other places that will loan you a wheelchair (free) are Kirstenbosch (can be bit of push though as it is hilly in parts) ) , Boulder Beach (penquins) . Another option for Kirstenbosch is to go on the tour by golf cart, but it does end at 3pm

If there are long queues at table Mountain cable car, tell the 'marshalls' that you husband is disabled and they will take you by lift directly to the cable car. it was very busy when we visited and there was n way my husband could have stood for that length of time and there is nowhere to sit in the queuing area.

One thing to bear in mind is that the Atlantic seaboard (Camps Bay, Sea Point etc) can be very windy and the water is eye watering freezing, so swimming is not much of an option.

The 'other 'side of the Peninusular , e.g Muizenberg has warmer sea but I got the impression that you would be dependent on a car a,s public transport in SA is not what we are used to. Hout Bay might also fit the bill. A local reading this will be able to offer more details on public transport..

Would your husband be able to get on and off the Hop On Hop Off bus? Next time we visit, we will use its as it seems to visit most places of interest

I got talking to an Englishman at Kirstenbosch) who had emigrated to SA in the last few years and now iss running a small tourist outfit offering private tours. He lives in a house right on the seafront at Camps Bay , so would know the area well. I will dig out his details over the weekend and PM them to you. You could perhaps treat yourselves to a few private trips.

I agree with you that the flights to SA are very high and together with the high cost of accommodation and having to use taxis , can make SA quiet an expensive destination.

Bedfordshire...
Level Contributor
808 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation for disabled traveller

The reason I'm looking at South Africa is because is has the longest sun shine hours in December. We usually go to Dubai but the day light hours are 6 to 7. We also looked at Oman which has 10 hours day light. As there is limited choice of hotels in a 4 star hotels the prices are very high for December.We have visited Table moutain, Robbin Island, Cape of good hope etc. We also use a car on the previous trip. It was all quite cheap!! Things have greatly changed. We love the people and the country.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,852 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation for disabled traveller

Hi happyholidayer30

If you travelled in January you would maybe have 15 minutes less sunshine and the prices might be a bit lower.

Oakland, California
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation for disabled traveller

We stayed in a house in Bakoven, adjoining Camps Bay, right at the water's edge. A most beautiful place.

There isn't a single step from the street throughout the house onto the decks!

The bathrooms were particularly big. The showers could accommodate our

wheel-chair. For our wheel-chair needs it was pleasurable and ideal.

The hot tub was also a plus. Their website is Capetown-beachhouse.com

This house is highly recommended.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation for disabled traveller

bernie

many thanks, I will check out this house

10. Re: Accommodation for disabled traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 21:14