We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camps Bay or Hermanus without a car

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Aylesbury, UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Camps Bay or Hermanus without a car

Hi, we will be left in Cape Town after a (guided) tour and want to stay on for a few more days either in Camps Bay or Hermanus. Can someone recommend which is better and which is better logistically as we won't have a car. I would assume practically it would be Camps Bay as I envisage there will be shuttle services, even taxi I can imagine will be reasonable? Hermanus might be a bit more tricky to reach without a car?

Level Contributor
15 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camps Bay or Hermanus without a car

You are right! Camps Bay is a suburb of Cape Town, a mere 10 min. drive by car (if you had one), and accessible by bus. If this is too basic for you, a taxi won't cost much. Hermanus, is an hours drive from Cape Town, the trip there is superb and Hermanus is pretty, but small. Do you want rural or city? Its your decision

Level Contributor
2,085 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camps Bay or Hermanus without a car

Without a car I would definitely stay in Camps Bay. Actually, even with a car I'd still plump for it.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camps Bay or Hermanus without a car

Hi Goodie71

Camps Bay is definitely the place the base yourself at. Very central in a point from getting yourself around to the City and the Waterfront. 10-15mins away with a taxi and are not that expensive. Taxi's charge between R9-R12 per kilometer and are quite reliable to make use of. You can also do a day trip from Cape Town to Hermanus to do whale spotting. Or if your are very keen on stying over there for one night, you can arrange also a transfer from Cape Town to Hermanus and back the next day. Hermanus is about a 1h30min drive and are worth while the trip too.

Best Regards

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
452 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camps Bay or Hermanus without a car

Yes, definitely Camps Bay and you could even make use of the sightseeing bus as it stops in Camps Bay. With the red tour you reach all the major attractions and the blue tour takes you to kirstenbosch gardens, hout bay, etc.

In Camps Bay you can reach most restaurants, shops etc on foot and if you want to into Cape Town then a taxi is perfect.

5. Re: Camps Bay or Hermanus without a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2013, 05:47