We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth.

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Carlow, Ireland
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Topic
Train from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth.

Hello everybody.

I have just joined this forum and am really enjoying it, picking up lots of useful tips. We are flying from Ireland to Cape Town and then immediately setting out for Port Elizabeth. I am very interested in travelling by train, can anybody tell me if it is safe to do so and how long the journey would take? We will stay in CT the first night and then make our way to PE the next morning. We have 6 days to travel by hired car back to CT where we will be joining our daughter and remaining for 2 weeks. Would the train route be the same as the route we would travel in the car. I would like to see as much of the country as I could so thought this would be a good idea. How many nights would you recommend we stay in PE.

Thanks in advance

Cant wait to go to S.A.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,276 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth.

Fly to P.E. I would consider flying the day you arrive in Cape Town, so that you get all the flying over and done with.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth.

Hello,

I'd second the previous poster's recommendation of flying to PE, and then heading west.

The only part of your journey I'd recommend doing by train is the segment between Knysna and George, which you can do on the Outeniqua Tchoo-Joe, an old-fashioned steam train. There's a bit more about it on this website:

http://www.onlinesources.co.za/chootjoe/

You can either take the train as a day trip out of Knysna (going to George and returning) or drop your hire car in Knysna and taking the train the George where you could pick up another hire car for the rest of your trip. The train is quite leisurely and the passage across the lagoon is lovely.

Cheers,

Julian

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth.

Hi there,

Passenger and freight trains in South Africa are run by Spoornet, the national rail operator. MetroRail runs commuter trains in major cities. There are also a few privately operated trains - luxury tourist trains, narrow-gauge trips operated by enthusiasts and occasional steam excursions. South Africa's countrywide rail network uses a 3 foot 6 inch (1067 mm) gauge, except for a few narrow gauge lines (such as the Apple Express and the Banana Express).

If you're really keen on the train travel, you could try the luxury version which is Rovos Rail, (The Blue train only does one trip a year to Port Elizabeth and that is in March) but Rovos only offer a trip as far as George, so you could perhaps do that and then fly from George to PE. I coudn't find the prices but suspect they are exceptionally dear, equivalent to five star hotel prices.

Here is there departure and arrival times:

CAPE TOWN TO GEORGE

Friday 09H30 - Depart from Cape Town Station, Platform 23.

15h30Arrive Ashton for a wine tasting excursion.

Saturday 09h00 - Arrive George.

09h30 Optional departure from George to Knysna on the Outeniqua Choo-Tjoe.

12h00 Outeniqua Choo-Tjoe arrives in Knysna.

GEORGE TO CAPE TOWN

Saturday 09h45 - Optional departure from Knysna on the Outeniqua Choo-Tjoe.

12h30 Arrive George on Outeniqua Choo-Tjoe.

13h30 Depart George on Rovos Rail.

Sunday 11h00 Arrive Worcester where guests enjoy a guided tour of KWV Brandy Distillers.

17h00 Arrive Platform 24 Cape Town Station.

Here the web site: wildlifeafrica.co.za/ttrovos-gardenroute.html

Our national rail is not really highly recommended I'm ashamed to say.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth.

Hello,

For some reason I thought you meant regular passenger trains rather than luxury trains -- if you want a luxurious experience Rovos Rail would be brilliant.

It's not cheap, though - a one-way journey from Cape Town to George is R4540 pp in a standard Pullman carriage. If you want to do this, note that the journeys are only offered on specific days so you'd need to schedule your trip around this. Here's their website:

http://www.rovosrail.com

Personally I find the stretch between Cape Town and George the least attractive bit of the journey between the Garden Route and Cape Town, and one nice option might be to fly to PE, drive to Knysna, take the Outeniqua Tjoo-choe to George, and take Rovos Rail between George and Cape Town.

Cheers,

Julian

Carlow, Ireland
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth.

Hi everybody

Sorry I did mean a regular train ride not on a luxury one.

Cheers

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
63 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth.

Skoda I agree with the others forget about a train from PE. Save your money on a slow trip back to Cape Town. Max two nights in PE then stay over at Tsitsikamma National Park, Knysna, Plettenberg Bay, Oudtshoorn (inland),Hermanus, etc. Before Plett you may want to consider Hog Hollow. You will really enjoy it. Between Tsitskamma and Mossel Bay- exquisite scenery.

7. Re: Train from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 05:25
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central