We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long should we make our holiday?

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
678 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
How long should we make our holiday?

Trying to book a trip out to Cape Town for Feb 08. Thought we'd spend a week in Cape Town then hire a car to travel the Garden Route and maybe tag on a couple of nights on Safari. Would prefer malaria free zone to avoid taking the pills. Any suggestions?

Don't really fancy driving up to Jo'burg due to safety concerns.

As we're recently retired we don't have any time restrictions so would three weeks be too long a time period to fill?

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Cape Xtreme
Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Safaris
Springbok Atlas Tours & Safaris
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Safaris
Crafted African Travel
City Tours, Private Tours, Safaris, Day Trips
Somerset
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How long should we make our holiday?

We go every year for around 4 weeks and still find new things to see and visit. You can easily enjoy a week in Cape Town, so much to do. I would suggest taking a few days to drive up the Garden Route on the N2 maybe stopping off Knysna, Plettenburg and/or Tsitsikamma National Park and end up at one of the Eastern Cape Game Parks (malaria free) like Shamwari / Addo Elephant Park. Then travel back to Cape Town along Route 62 maybe stopping at Oudtshoorn and in the winelands - Franschoek would be my choice, and back to Cape Town. This would keep you well away from Johannesburg and malaria areas and you would easily occupy 3 weeks. Hope that has given you a very basic idea but my main advice is just go and enjoy it, it's brilliant.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long should we make our holiday?

I absolutely agree with what Somersetal suggests. After 3 weeks you will wish you had planned for a longer trip!

You will need cash to pay for petrol, everything else can be paid by credit card.

Best way to obtain cash is to use a UK debit card at an ATM cash machine.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long should we make our holiday?

There is a very strong Welsh connection in KwaZuluNatal - the Battlefields area, where the famous Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana battles were fought. (Think Michael Caine, Stanley Baker in "Zulu")...

Well worth adding another week to drive around the Drakenbergs and see some of the real South Africa, and catch up on some of the most improtant "Welsh" battles in history.

Even if you have no interest in Wales or military history, it is still worth visiting. Great beaches, game parks and scenery, plus friendly people.

Mentioned in this post
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How long should we make our holiday?

I read your post with interest as my husband & myself are planning the exact same trip for Fet 08 and the same questions apply as you have asked. I will keep a look for more replies and hope to contact you again soon

Bjb

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
678 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long should we make our holiday?

Thanks to everyone who have posted so far - getting quite excited about the whole trip - now - due to responses we'll probably make it a four week trip. We have to pay the air fare anyway, so may as well make the most of it!

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How long should we make our holiday?

Can I ask who are you booking your air travel with, I have a quote from Travelbag for using KLM which is just short of £1,000 but the return flight has a 6 hour delay in Amsterdam which is off putting to say the least. I have looked at Globespan.com and they have direct flights from Manchester to C.T. for £1010 but I am a bit nervous of buck airlines when spending all that money. Your information would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Somerset
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How long should we make our holiday?

Hi bjb yorkshire,

When are you hoping to fly and were the quotes you got per person ? Why I ask is that BA offer flights Heathrow to Capetown in Feb 2008 at £862 pp. Haven't looked at SAA, who I would prefer to fly with, but they are usually similar.

Somerset
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How long should we make our holiday?

Just had a look at SAA for mid Feb 2008 LHR - CPT return £761 pp

9. Re: How long should we make our holiday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 06:21