We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Party And A Boat for New Years?

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
New York
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Party And A Boat for New Years?

Tweede Nuwe Jaar 2008 Celebrates 2nd New Year

I think I read it's at Green Point. Any inforamtion about it?

Also, some friends told me they usually charter a boat from the V&A for New Years. Is this a common thing to do? I am trying to plan some things to do for my family when they come down to visit me for the holiday.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
585 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Party And A Boat for New Years?

Hi

Sorry - can't help with the Tweede Nuwe Jaar 2008 question. I am sure that others will.

There are a number of boats which do tourist trips and/or parties at the V & A. One which we have been on is the Alabama - the last time was 2000. That was very good. It seems to confine itself to the harbour, so seasickness isn't a problem. It looks like it has been renamed "The Sea Horse" http://www.alabama.co.za/pages/cruises.php

We also covered a wedding reception on the Condor. It is a lovely boat. On that cruise, we hit a choppy sea on leaving the harbour. It wasn't exactly pleasant for the guests, who were sitting down and clinging to the benches. As videographer, it was my duty to get around and cover the action. It wasn't easy negotiating ladders, etc with a camera in one hand, trying to protect it from the spray. ;-)

The owners of the condor have 8 vessels. www.waterfrontboats.co.za/boats/condor.html

The problem which you might have is that the cruises for New Year parties could possibly be booked up?

Cheers

Howard Neill

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
899 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Party And A Boat for New Years?

If you wish to make any arrangements for boats int he waterfront then contact Janet Waggot who does promotion and marketing for various tourism related businesses around Cape Town.

janet-betterconnection@hotmail.com

Above is her email address.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Party And A Boat for New Years?

Traditionally the 2nd January has been an unofficial holiday in Cape Town. (no where else in South Africa is "Tweede Nuwe Jaar" celebrated.)

With its origin apparently as a holiday for slaves during the early days of the Cape of Good Hope, the tradition continues today and is celebrated by troops of colourful minstrels. They go in procession in "klopse" or clubs (groups) dressed in wonderfully bright minstrel outfits with traditional painted white faces (like clowns). They play instuments and sing and have a great time. What happens in the Green Point Stadium is a competition between the various groups. This can be amazing, but it is extremely full and I would leave before the judges make any announcements about winners etc, because there have been occasions when the judges have been threatened and things have got ugly.

There's a whole bit about it on Wikipedia if you're interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coon_Carnival

New York
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Party And A Boat for New Years?

Thanks everyone for the great information. Technobabe is the parade all through Cape Town? And is it on the 2nd of Jan?

I think we will go to the Green Point event, thanks for the advice. I am a bit confused does the Green Point event start the 1st or 2nd of Jan?

Thanks for all of the information, very helpful.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Party And A Boat for New Years?

Hello again,

The parade starts on 2nd January in District six and goes through the streets of Cape Town. The Greenpoint Stadium event goes through a process of elimination and as far as I know has different groups competing on different days, it is not as exciting as the street parade, more a kind of singing and choir competition.

I'm not really an expert on this, not been to the Green Point stadium for the event, although colleages of mine have been adjudicators so I can ask them when I have a moment.

I haven't actually watched the street parade in about ten years, so I hope someone else can give you more up to date advice about it.

There is an online Cape Town magazine that has some coverage and a newsletter, it doesn't cost anything to subscribe, so here's the link in case you're interested. They cover last years carnival with some nice photos:http://www.capetownmagazine.com/events/Cape-Minstrel-Carnival-Finals-at-Green-Point-Stadium~494

I'm afraid I don't enjoy big crowds so tend to stay away from events like this. Sorry I'm not more help.

6. Re: Party And A Boat for New Years?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 12:26