We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first visit to cape town

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
llanelli
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Topic
first visit to cape town

hi ,im sure the cape town experts must get sick of this question. Where is an ideal place to stay on a first visit. Hoping to visit for a week. Quite nervous about hiring a car, but know to make the most of the week a car is a must. Is it best to hire at the airport or try to get to the accomodation first? Any suggestions, at the moment, i have two apartments lined up. One at blouberg? the other at canal walk(bit of a shopper) what could i hope to achieve in a week? lastly what is the december weather like.

Many thanks for a replies i get.

1. Re: first visit to cape town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2007, 06:53
Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first visit to cape town

Should you stay at Blouberg or Canal Walk, you would definitely need to rent a car. It is about 15 mins. from the city by car.

Camps Bay is a nice area, close to the Waterfront, City and it is safe.

Suggest you find an apartment through www.cybercapetown.com.

There is a hop on hop off "red" bus which can take you to the main tourist centres.

December weather is warm and sunny; sometimes windy.

Enjoy your stay.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first visit to cape town

Hi dentalnurse.

Both Blouberg and Canal Walk are ok places, but for a first visit to Cape Town, unless it is too expensive, I would really suggest that you try to stay closer to the city centre. By that, First choice would be Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, next choice, Sea Point or Green Point, Third choice Camps Bay.

If you do happen to rather stay at the Waterfront, then I think booking a transfer from the airport to your accomodation on arrival would be fine, and then you could get your hire car next day, but if you end up staying in either Blouberg or Canal Walk, you would have to collect the hire car at the airport, else you would not be able to get anywhere very easily at all.

Our transport system is not good.

December weather is usually nice, but can sometimes be cool and rainy for a few days. It often rains on Christmas day, but just as often is absolutely boiling hot. I will not be freezing cold.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,874 posts
1,771 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first visit to cape town

Stay at a touristy area such as the Waterfront (which has a shopping centre).

Canal Walk is far out and in many ways CT is not cheap in things like designer clothes. Jewellery yes.

If you go to CT admire its natural assets such as Table mountain, Cape point, etc.

Weather should be hot in December.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
642 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first visit to cape town

to be hoest I''d choose Camps Bay. Its beautiful, only 10 mins from central Cape Town and safe.

Get your accomodation booked now for December as it's REALLY busy. Also good to book your car now too as they do become short supply.

I'd not come to Cape Town without a car - you'll just miss so much and driving is easy.

Enjoy:-)

Leicestershire
Level Contributor
96 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first visit to cape town

Hi,

not an expert like these guys, just an ordinary tourist,but have just returned last week from a week in CT. We stayed near the waterfront in a nice hotel, 15 mins from airport, and on the route for the open top tour bus. You don't need a car if you don't want to be bothered driving, just being in the back of one was scary enough at peak times. Not for the faint hearted.

We went on several full day trips from the hotel which took us absolutely everywhere around the area for about £30 each which I thought was really good. The open top bus does go everywhere too, although stops about 4pm which isn't great. Waterfront is great for evenings and shopping too,plus safer than other places i suspect.

What can you do in a week? at risk of boring you, we managed: table mountain, trip to Hermanus whale watching, trip to Cape of good hope, trip to hout bay+seal island, ostrich farm, world of birds, waterfront and Aquarium, a township tour, boulders bay penguin colony, Camps Bay, Kirstenbosch gardens, plus the open top bus tours. You won't be bored!

we also then went to Shamwari Game reserve for the grand finale for a few days(see my recommendation post), so it's amazing what you can do in a week!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first visit to cape town

I'd reccommend staying at the V&A Waterfront if it's your first visit. It's really safe, close to lots of attractions, it's the departure point for the trip to robben Island and since you're a shopper it has alot of shopping as well. It's got alot of restaurants for all ages and with great views Table Mountain and a relaxed atmosphere with buskers playing their african music as you walk by, it's a good place to be in my opinion! And Yeah, so many things to do in a week, you certainly won't be bored. We had 5 days And I would have liked at least 5 more. We did everything the above poster did, apart from the township tour, but we went to the cape winelands, which was fun. Good food and wine, spectacular Mountain scenery and we got to pat a cheetah ;D

We stayed at Sea Point. Camps bay would be my second choice, it's such a spectacular seaside suburb.

llanelli
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: first visit to cape town

Thank you all for your posts.

Love this site!! Decided , an apartment at V&A, still undecided about a car. Loads of day trips possible from this location, so my husband and i can both have long lunches at the wonderful sounding destinations.

Any more suggestions for bars or restaurants along the way?

Regards Amanda

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: first visit to cape town

I'm really glad you've decided on the Waterfront, it is so set up for tourists that it will make you life very much easier.

10. Re: first visit to cape town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 06:17