We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

V & A Waterfront nightlife

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
120 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
V & A Waterfront nightlife

Hello!

I will be staying with a group of 30-somethings in late November in the Waterfront area. We are not into techo or dance clubs, but would love some advise on cool bars/pubs or clubs with live music--any suggestions?

Thanks!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
585 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: V & A Waterfront nightlife

Hi

Being 64 years old, there are others who are far better qualified to answer your question. Since no one has answered, I thought that I should give you this link to Cape Town nightlife.

capetowntravel.com/entertainment/nightlife.a…

Both Long Street & Green Point are not far from the Waterfront. I would recommend calling for a taxi in both directions.

Good luck!

Howard Neill

Cape Town
Level Contributor
208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: V & A Waterfront nightlife

Hi sheaf72

At the V&A:

- Manenberg's Jazz Cafe - mostly Cape Jazz

- Green Dolphin Jazz - more mainstream/global jazz

Nearby at the Convention Centre is Marimba, a very nice African restaurant that has very good music

Book in advance for all/any of the above.

Marco's African Place is probably the best place in the city to find live African music and actually mingle with black African young professionals (30-somethings). You can go for dinner, or just go later to the bar for live music.

If you're more into a pub then Fireman's Arms is a good choice and near the Waterfront, although I prefer Perseverance Tavern which is farther away and a bit tough to find. Neither have live music, though.

There are some GREAT excursions farther afield - Vuyo's Jazz Cafe in Khayelitsha is excellent. There are a number of tour operators who can manage the transportation for you, and I can recommend Coffee Beans Routes from personal experience to manage an evening of authentic local music for you. Their Jazz Safari has a good reputation as does the Striking Common Chords experience -- but both of these are more music tours/experiences than a bar with live music.

If you can, try to hear some Cape Jazz and/or Goema, which is the traditional local style of music -- Cape Town's version of Cajun.

HTH

Kurt

--

afrikatourism.blogspot.com

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: V & A Waterfront nightlife

Wow--thanks so much! I moved to SA a few months ago and this will be my first trip to Cape Town--I am really excited!

Thanks again for the great info!

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: V & A Waterfront nightlife

Thanks for a really helpful reply Kurt!

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: V & A Waterfront nightlife

Marco's African Place

Is this in the Waterfront?

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: V & A Waterfront nightlife

Also...

Africa Café

"Sample an authentic array of African cuisine. There's no menu like it - 15 dishes from across Africa are served at once, of which you can eat as much as you like."

Is this place good and authentic? I really want to try real African cuisine. More importantly, is it safe for two blatently obvious tourists to go to the City Center for lunch? I wouldn't go to that area for dinner.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
291 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: V & A Waterfront nightlife

I think you are possibly meaning 'Mama Africa'?

We didn't eat there but went for drinks and to watch a live band one night and it was great fun.

I am certain that you would be completely safe going for lunch around the Long Street area where Mama Africa is located. We are two female 'obvious tourists' and went for dinner in that area several times as well as going to the bars and have to say that I felt every bit as safe there as I did in Miami.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: V & A Waterfront nightlife

I copied and pasted the name of that African restaurant off that website knolly gave. But if Mama Africa is good, too...

I just want to try the real thing! :)

Cape Town
Level Contributor
208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: V & A Waterfront nightlife

Hi All

Africa Cafe is a very tourist-oriented restaurant that has busloads of tourists (I jest not...) piling into it. Having said that, it is fun with a lovely Afro-atmosphere and the food is nice, if not perfectly authentic.

Mama Africa is also tourist-oriented with decent food, but the live music is very nice.

Marco's African Place is on the far side of De Waterkant from the Waterfront -- close, but not walking distance.

There's a list of African restaurants (including Cape Malay) here: http://tinyurl.com/2jw4e2

HTH

Kurt

--

afrikatourism.blogspot.com

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: V & A Waterfront nightlife

Thans, kurt a. Where would you recommend? Where do you as a local eat African food? Somewhere different? The only stipulation is that it is safe.