We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elictricity

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Belfast
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Elictricity

Can you use your own hair dyrer and hair straighteners or do you have to buy an adaptor for their electric. Can anyone help.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elictricity

SA has their own special adaptor you have to buy.

Belfast
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Elictricity

Thanks very much for answering. Can you buy it over here or have I to wait till I get over there. Sorry I must sound so stupid.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Elictricity

You don't sound stupid at all. I asked these same exact questions a few weeks ago.

You can buy them there if you want. We bought ours on the Internet and had it shipped to us. Just be careful because some advertise as "Africa" and it won't work. It has to say specifically SOUTH Africa.

Belfast
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Elictricity

Thanks very much. I really do appreciate your help.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Elictricity

Hi Belfast!

Electrical adaptors are easy to find all over South Africa. Here is an article I wrote earlier for someone from the United States, although it should be of interest to someone from Britain or Europe. I apologize to those who have already read it:

You need an adaptor for electricity in South Africa, one different from anything you've seen before in the United States, Europe, Britain and Australia. Plugs there come with three pins, widely separated in a triangular array. They are not compatible with any other, even British.

Here's what you’ll need:

1) Visit a shop in South Africa and buy the adaptor piece. They're cheap, about US$5. Department stores, telephone stores and lots of others sell them.

2) Cell phones and some imported appliances in South Africa come with European, not South African male ends. That's why the adaptors are so widely available in stores. Locals need them too!

3) Voltage in South Africa is 220, as in Europe. That's twice as intense as North American current, so North Americans like me ALSO need the adaptor kit normally carried in Europe, with a transformer from 220 down to North American 110 current. If you plugged a North American appliance without a transformer into South African 220 volts, the intensity of the current would soon burn out your appliance.

4) With your European adaptor kit, you should find the little pieces for plugging two-flat-parallel-pronged North American appliances into European two-round-pronged receptacles. Even if a shaver or video camera is compatible with 220 voltage, you still need the adaptor piece to plug the North American plug into the South African adaptor!

Anyone from Canada (like me) or the US needs first to get the converter kit that anyone would take to Europe. They're widely available in North America. I got mine at Wal-Mart for under US$40. Get it in North America, so you can be sure of getting all the adaptor widgets needed for our flat-parallel-pronged plugs.

Then, get your South African adaptor in South Africa. The South African adaptors I found are primarily designed to accommodate European round-pronged plugs, but once you've already got your European kit, you're prepared for that.

Even if you've got a camera or I-pod that runs on European 220 voltage (as South Africa also does), we Aorth Americans still need an adaptor to plug your flat-pronged plugs into round holes. And, if you bring appliances that run on North American 110-volt current, you also need a transformer so the 110 devices don't burn out from the more intense electric current. A European converter kit contains everything you need.

Be mindful also that each South African outlet come with an individual on/off switch. Its use is obvious, but you'll be amazed how easy it will be to jump to the conclusion that your lamp bulb is burned out or that a previous guest's kids have fiddled with the TV remote, when the problem is actually that the on/off switch on an unseen outlet has been turned off!

All this is easier done than said, and it will work fine once you're there.

Happy travels, and let me know if I can help further!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
338 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Elictricity

Hi,

I bought one from Amazon, just search for 'South African adapter' on Amazon and it should come up.

Worked fine when I was there, used it for my straightners and had no problems. I think is cost £4 or £5.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
66 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Elictricity

Hi,

Just got back from Cape Town, find either a "Game" outlet or go to a "Cape Union Mart" - a camping / outdoor chain there is a large one on the V&A waterfront, both sell adaptors for about 50 rand

8. Re: Elictricity

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 09:25