We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International Driving Licence

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Isle of Man
6 posts
Save Topic
International Driving Licence

We are travelling from the UK and hiring a car from Cape Town for 12 nights in February 2008. Can someone please advise if we will we need an International Driving Licence.

Somerset
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: International Driving Licence

Providing you hold a valid driving licence, printed in English, which I presume you do, then there is no need for an International Driving Licence.

There has been a debate on this subject over the past 6 months, you may wish to search on this forum under "International Driving Licence" to read more about the situation. I was last in SA in November and the subject of IDL/IDP was never raised by the car rental companies I hired from.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
37 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International Driving Licence

i know it is a debated topic. we were in South Africa in November. Our travel agents told us we must get one - and they did ask for it at the car rental place. If I were you, I'd get one. They are not that much for peace of mind. you can download the form from the AA website.

Isle of Man
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: International Driving Licence

Thanks for your help, it would probably be best to get one then - just in case.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: International Driving Licence

They did not ask for the int. driving licence at Hertz, but I heard that in case of an accident or when being stopped by police it is better to have one.

Port Elizabeth
Level Contributor
346 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: International Driving Licence

No need.

Provided you have one with the picture a UK license is fine.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
66 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: International Driving Licence

Avis were happy with photo UK driving licence (Dec 2007)did'nt even want to see the "paper" part

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,590 posts
1,607 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: International Driving Licence

WE have never had to have an International Drivers License. If you book online through Hertz, Avis or Eurpocar etc.etc.you just have to present your Driver's License. (our's being Australian).

We travel the world and it's the same in every country if you use the major car companies and book ahead and on-line they have never asked for anything more than out standard driving license.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,023 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: International Driving Licence

Don't forget, folks, that the IDP is not just for the car rental company, but may also prove useful if you have to show your licence to a policeman out there in the boondocks.

OK, English is an official language of South Africa and many other countries, but the IDP is a translation of the licence, in case someone can't read English. I'm not saying that will be an issue in SA, but it might be in other countries.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
545 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: International Driving Licence

Do US Citizens require an international driver's license for South Africa? My travel agent suggested one.

Port Elizabeth
Level Contributor
346 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: International Driving Licence

You need a license written in English with your photo on it that is all.

If it is no big deal to get an International License why not get one anyway.