We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cage diving in SA with great whites

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Bristol
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Cage diving in SA with great whites

Hiya guys and girls,

Recently come back from travelling and im itching to get out of the UK again and do something exciting.

I love great white sharks and am fascinated by them hence would love to do a cage dive with them. Whilst away i spoke to many fisherman in OZ etc whom i discussed with the risks and pros/cons of cage diving with great whites so please do not post any web links with 'opinions' as why not to do this. I have made up my mind :) so please, anyone who has done this and could give me a reputable company name or has any local knowledge in regards to the diving please reply ASAP

Thanks in anticipation

Sam x x

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cage diving in SA with great whites

I used this company:

http://www.sharkcagediving.net/

And you should really read my "Trip Report: Part XIII." It's all about my very recent experience doing this! I hope this link to that thread works:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293740-i9186-k172…

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,415 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cage diving in SA with great whites

Here are a couple more diving companies

http://www.sharkwatchsouthafrica.com/

http://www.white-shark-diving.com

I have done the video photography on a couple of the boats and have one comment about the trip report just posted. Brian's boat is the biggest, indeed.. and may be the reason each guest had just one time in the cage. Lots of guests, perhaps.

On the trips where I was on the boat, everyone who wanted more than one time in the cage could do it. All the boats stay out about the same length of time, so, fewer guests on these other boats might result in more time in the water every time.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cage diving in SA with great whites

I had a chance to get into the cage again but I was sick, remember? So I chose not to go.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cage diving in SA with great whites

Gansbaai, outside of Cape Town, South Africa is the best spot - most likely to see Sharks in 'Shark Alley' - you can make it in one day from Cape Town, 2 hours drive to Gansbaai and 2 hours back. Prices range from R1,000-R1,500 depending on the company, so not more than 100 Pounds for the day. Companies you can try:

www.unrealdive.com

www.sharkadventures.co.za

www.whitesharkprojects.co.za

www.sharkzone.co.za

www.sharkcagediving.co.za

rgds

Venues4Africa

UK
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cage diving in SA with great whites

White Shark Adventures operating out of Gansbaai. Excellent and conservation minded.

Gansbaai is what it is, purely a fishing village that happens to have outstanding great white viewing. Do not expect tourist trimmings.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,415 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cage diving in SA with great whites

And that, MissCapeTown, is precisely why I like living there a few months each year!

Dallas Texas
Level Contributor
20 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cage diving in SA with great whites

I just got back from Gansbaii and went on a Shark Cage Diving trip with Shark Diving unlimited, sharkbookings.com/shark-diving-unlimited.htm

Unfortunately, I got seasick and missed everything, but I heard the excitement as the sharks pounded in and out of the water, and my friends got pictures and purchased the video they took of the event. The comapny was great, offerred breakfast and lunch as well as education - and of course close encounters with sharks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cage diving in SA with great whites

I dove with Unrealdive. It was a good trip, we saw a fair amount of sharks. The seas were high and the visibility was poor - obviously not the fault of anyone.

The only thing to note is that this is a 180 degree dive. The cage was attached to the side of the boat, you got in with a mask (not even a snorkel I don't think), they threw a tunahead over the cage and dragged it toward you to lure the sharks for a closer view.

They'd yell "shark", you go under water for a few seconds and come back up.

When I envisioned "cage diving" I was in a cage down under water with scuba gear. However, first, I wasn't certified at the time, and even if I were, most places didn't allow for scuba tanks because the bubbles scare of sharks (supposedly).

So just make sure what kind of dive you want and ask those questions before you go.

9. Re: Cage diving in SA with great whites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 02:16