We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camps Bay or Waterfront (V&A)

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
usa
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Topic
Camps Bay or Waterfront (V&A)

My husband and 14 month daughter will be travelling to Cape town in December/January for two weeks. Any suggestions as to whether it would be better to stay in camps bay or on the waterfront. We'll be staying in an apartment eitherway for about 8 days or so and will be there for New Years Eve.

South Africa
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Camps Bay or Waterfront (V&A)

In terms of scenic location - definately Camps Bay, but the roads can get pretty busy in December. If you don't think its worth sitting in the traffic, then the Waterfront is a good central base with plenty to do in the vacinity. As a local, I still cannot believe the beauty of Camps Bay every time I go there... enjoy!

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camps Bay or Waterfront (V&A)

Cingo111,

We are planning atrip to SA/Botswana in June 06 and have the same question. We have 6 nights in Cape Town before returning home, Camps bay looks fantastic, but I'm thinking that the weather in June might make the Waterfront a better option. Any words of wisdom would be most welcome !

United Kingdom
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Camps Bay or Waterfront (V&A)

As mentioned earlier in the forum the traffic in Camps Bay is fairly busy in December, but it is still nothing by comparison to USA or UK beaches, so don't let it put you off. Besides you will more than likely be walking to the beach

By car the Waterfront is only 10 min away, so its fairly easy to commute to when you are tired of the beach.

For a June visit I would recommend staying at the Waterfront and traveling to Camps Bay when the weather is good.

Basel, Switzerland
Level Contributor
118 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camps Bay or Waterfront (V&A)

For a stay of 8 days I would definitely recommend Camps Bay. A rental car would be useful to travel to the city and waterfront.

Northwest...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Camps Bay or Waterfront (V&A)

My wife and I will be staying in Cape Town for two weeks at the end of Oct. We had the same question, and chose to stay in Camps Bay for a couple reasons: the location, and the accommodation available. We are renting an apt. five minutes from the beach, fully furnished with a kitchen, patio, pool and ocean-view. I think Camps makes a nicer "jumping-off" point for our tours around the cape. We didn't find anything else comparable downtown. I found the costs of the hotels to be quite high for the minimal services/privacy available, compared to what we think is a great deal we found in Camps. We will be renting a car while we're there.

If you're interested in finding apts, villas, or homes to rent, there are numerous websites available. I just went to Google and searched "cape town + accommodation", or you could do "camps bay + apartment", etc. You can request quotes from many of the sites, which put you directly in contact with the renters. I found most people got back to me within 24 hours. Do your research and I'm sure you'll find something you like!

uk
Level Contributor
885 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camps Bay or Waterfront (V&A)

i would recommend the waterfront as that is where everthing is happening- the nice restaurants/bars/shops and there are great transport links to camps bay, vineyards, and down to cape point.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
462 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Camps Bay or Waterfront (V&A)

As a local I would recommend the Waterfront. Cape Town is notorious for it's south easter wind from approx October to February and the wind can really blow in Camps Bay at that time. The Waterfront, on the other hand, is very well protected from the wind and is a better bet as a result. When there is no wind blowing you can easily commute to Camps Bay (provided you have hired a car).

Montreal
Level Contributor
698 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camps Bay or Waterfront (V&A)

C49:

Fellow Canadian

May I ask you the name of the apt in Camp's Bay...we are looking for the same set-up for next April

Northwest...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Camps Bay or Waterfront (V&A)

Salut Montreal!

Have a look at www.gocampsbay.com/, which is where we're staying for two weeks in Oct.

Other good websites I found were:

www.wheretostay.co.za

www.capestay.co.za

There are lots of good options out there. I found for the money and ammenities that Camps Bay was our best choice, but you may find otherwise. Good luck!

Montreal
Level Contributor
698 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Camps Bay or Waterfront (V&A)

Salut NWT! Thanks again.