We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay capetown and garden route

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay capetown and garden route

Hi ,

Just about to book my holiday for SA in the next couple of days and thought i would check it sounds good with you guys.

Thinking end of september this year for 2 weeks, got free virgin alantic flights from work.

4nts Capetown in either An African villa or derwent house

1 nt stellenbosch, spier hotel

1nt outshoorn, hilangana lodge,

1nt Knysna, kahonkop guest house

1nt Plettenburg bay, tsala treetops lodge

1nt Port elizabeth, beech hotel

flight from PE to CT then up to a safari in kruger, i have looked at so many safari lodges now i really dont know which to go for maybe Arathusa lodge in kruger but only because TA reveiws sound good.

Is the timing in each place right and the accomadation any good , also can any one recommend a good reasonable safari lodge

regarsd Jo x

Mentioned in this post
Knysna
Knysna
Western Cape, South Africa
Port Elizabeth
Port Elizabeth
Eastern Cape, South Africa
Aaldering Vineyards & Wines Luxury Lodges
Aaldering Vineyards & Wines Luxury Lodges
#1 of 61 Speciality lodging in Stellenbosch
Amber Tree Lodge
Amber Tree Lodge
#2 of 132 Speciality lodging in Cape Town Central
Head South Lodge
Head South Lodge
#7 of 132 Speciality lodging in Cape Town Central
McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay capetown and garden route

Just some observations:

Cape Town accommodation - good choices, both are good establishments.

Personally I wouldn't choose Spier. Perhaps a good B&B in the winelands would give you more atmosphere.(Spier is ok but a bit large and corporate, but perhaps you like that). Look at for example Klein Genot in Franschhoek or Hawksmoor House outside of Stellenbosch. I would plan to stay 2 nights.

Dont know the Oudtshoorn property, but the town is worth a visit.

Not necessary to stay in both Knysna and Plettenburg Bay as they are very close, rather stay 2 nights at say Tsala.

Have you a reason to continue on to Port Elizabeth and why are you coming all the way back to Cape Town to then fly to the Kruger? You could get there from either PE or George (via Johannesburg).

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Spier Hotel
Spier Hotel
2,154 Reviews
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Franschhoek
Franschhoek
Stellenbosch
Stellenbosch
Oudtshoorn
Oudtshoorn
Knysna
Knysna
Port Elizabeth
Port Elizabeth
George
George
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay capetown and garden route

Hi ,

Thanks the klein Genot in Franschhoek looks lovely , we will definately go there.

I have free return tickets from work to Capetown , which is why was going from PE back to CT, we are then having a stopover on the way home which is allowing me to do a safari .

In an ideal world i would do CT to PE to JB , Do you have any suggestions for a good safari, i work for a virgin company so am trying to see if i can get some discount for Ulusaba safari lodge but it is very expensive anyway

regards Jo x x

Mentioned in this post
Franschhoek
Franschhoek
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay capetown and garden route

We visited Spier when staying in stellenbosch 3 years ago. O.K for a day visit, but glad we didn't stay there. Is a bit commercial and " theme park ". Stellenbosch town has much nicer places to actually stay in. We stayed in Rusthuiz guest house, v. smart, lovely breakfasts and staff v. pleasant. However,I accidentally dropped a serving dish glass lid one morning, cutting my leg.

We were somewhat surprised on settling bill a few days later that the owner ( who we never actually met ) had asked the receptionist to charge what we thought an exorbitant amount for said lid !

After some discussion, the charge was dropped. So great place but don't drop anything !

We are going to S.A. again next Jan, have got good deal via Trailfinders for Rippons Safari lodge ( cheaper than direct with resort) in Eastern Cape.

Patricia. N. Wales

Mentioned in this post
Spier Hotel
Spier Hotel
2,154 Reviews
Stellenbosch
Stellenbosch
Rusthuiz Guest House
Rusthuiz Guest House
223 Reviews
Eastern Cape
Eastern Cape
South Africa
Johannesburg
Level Contributor
267 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay capetown and garden route

You have a nice itinerary, here is my thinking - Mantis have this special:

Book 2 guests sharing for 2 nights (minimum) at any of the Mantis Collection Private Game Lodges (Shamwari, Sanbona or Jock Safari Lodge) and receive 3 nights free (B&B) at either Lake Pleasant Living in Knysna, Bushman Sands Hotel in the Eastern Cape, any 1 of the 3 Last Word Retreats (The Constantia, The Long Beach, The Franschhoek) in and around Cape Town or the Radisson Hotel on the V&A Waterfront.

So this is my thinking:

4 nights Cape Town - at either one is cool

1 night in Stellenbosh - I actually like River Manor in Stellenbosch very central and lovely guest house.

1 night hlangana Hotel in Oudtshoorn (this is big and has lots of tour groups staying here - I would try De Opstel - very cosy or Rosenhof

3 nights at Lake Pleasant Living - this would be Free of charge and is really very lovely

2 nights at Shamwari - with the money you save from

the Garden Route, you should be able to afford Shamwari now and this will save you flight to Johanensburg.

Fly Port Elizabeth - Cape Town and home!!.

Just something to consider!

Mentioned in this post
Knysna
Knysna
Eastern Cape
Eastern Cape
South Africa
Constantia
Constantia
Cape Town, South Africa
Franschhoek
Franschhoek
Cape Town
Cape Town
Stellenbosch
Stellenbosch
Oudtshoorn
Oudtshoorn
Port Elizabeth
Port Elizabeth
Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,595 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay capetown and garden route

We stayed at the Beach Hotel in Plettenberg Bay and I have to say it wasn't inspiring- check out my review on the TA hotels page. We stayed there because we got a deal through our travel agent and we had our 2 kids sharing the room with us, but it was pretty much a coach party place.

Mentioned in this post
Plettenberg Bay
Plettenberg Bay
Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay capetown and garden route

Thanks debbie m, That iteinary sounds good will have a look at the hotels mentioned, the only thing i have read loads about on this forum is that the safari lodges in the Eastern cape are not as good as say Kruger as the anaimals are brought in so can ba a little like visiting the zoo, i know the shamwari is very very nice as my friend stopped there, but my husband wants to do a real safari.

regards Jo x x

Mentioned in this post
Eastern Cape
Eastern Cape
South Africa
7. Re: where to stay capetown and garden route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 12:25