We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Cape Town - where to stay

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
England
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas in Cape Town - where to stay

My husband has booked us flights etc to stay in Cape Town for Christmas 2008, he has a hold on 2 hotels Portswood and Commodore but didn't know which one to pick as I am a bit fussy, (in as much as I spend ages going thru all reviews on TA when I book) but he is quite happy to take the advice of the Agent., but having looked at some reviews (oh dear here we go!!) I am not sure he has been advised that well given the price roughly 1800 GBP. He has booked a car too...so not sure whats best area for hotel, etc. He was thinking stay in capetown and use the car to go out during the day...then we are in centre/waterfront for bars restuarants at night...which I think is good idea...I quite like the look of Sun Inn Waterfront..any ideas to save my husbands sanity?

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
795 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Cape Town - where to stay

It all depends on personnal taste, budget, and a myriad other things but...

We recently stayed at the Breakwater Lodge at the waterfront - nearby to the hotels you mention - and thoroughly enjoyed it. The hotel has good parking but is near enough to the waterfront to walk there safely. It was also the cheapest hotel we could find in the area, but had all the essentials. We didn't use any of the hotel's restaurants as there are many others within a short walk.

Good idea to have the car as, like you say, you can get out and about during the day - traffic's likely to be busy though and parking might be difficult in CT itself. Make sure it's got aircon as it'll be quite warm.

England
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Cape Town - where to stay

Thanks Racing Rog....yeah I know its a difficult one for others to comment on as everyones view is different....I'll take a look at your suggestion...thx

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in Cape Town - where to stay

Hi Heartyoz

I am not quite sure what you are asking. Have you booked an all in package - flight, hotel and car hire for a total of £1800 for 2 (but for how many nights?) - or is the £1800 just for the hotel??

Of the two hotels mentioned I would opt for the Commodore - although I have not actually stayed at either - it is actually closer to the Waterfront.

The Sun Waterfront is not actually nearly as close to the Waterfront and you would not be advised to walk from there to the Waterfront in the evenings. But I dont think its a bad hotel and I think they do actually operate a shuttle.

Depending on your length of stay, you would not necessarily need a car for the whole time you are in Cape Town.

If you are free to choose your own hotel, depending on what your priorities are I think you will find several otehr hotels/B&B in Cape Town which are 'better' than those mentioned above.

Hope that has not confused you further!

England
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in Cape Town - where to stay

Hi macsym...thanks for the quick resp..

I'm always confused (and confusing!!) The £1800 is just for the 8 nights in the hotel (flights are seperate). Its a "tailor" made package - so we have 8 nights Cape T, 1 night Oudtshoorn, 1 night PE, and 4 nights in Kruger..(hubby just couldn't decide on the final choice of hotel in CT) there are others but he "whittled" it down to those 2 on what the agent said...I understand it is xmas so its gonna be dear but some of the reviews weren't great about them...I don't think we should pay more - any other suggestions in a similar (or less proce bracket that you could recommend)? (The car was in with it...!)

(see I told you I am confusing!!)

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas in Cape Town - where to stay

Hi

Are you free to choose any hotel in Cape Town or do you have to choose from a list. If the former, please say what your priorities are, if the latter, what are your choices and I shall give you my thoughts!

Yes Christmas is peak season so prices are high and availability low!

England
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas in Cape Town - where to stay

This is the "list" but I think that you can request others as the 2 the agent suggested aren't on their list!!!

Winchester Mansions

Park Inn Greenmarket square

Townhouse hotel

Protea Hotel President

Southern Sun the Cullinan

Southern Sun the Waterfront

Camps Bay Village

The Bay Hotel

Table Bay Hotel

The Cape Cadogan Boutique

Four Rosemead

Table Mountain Lodge

Basically would like near bars n restaurants as its xmas....

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas in Cape Town - where to stay

Winchester Mansions – Long established, privately owned hotel on the seafront at Sea Point. During the day it would be walkable (just) to the Waterfront but otherwise you would want to use your car. Nice traditional hotel

Park Inn Greenmarket square – in the very centre of town, surrounded by lots of bars, cafes, restaurants etc. Parking is not particularly easy and I would not rate the hotel

Townhouse hotel – also in town but really more of a business hotel and I would not personally spend Chrismas there although the family that own it also have the lovely Vineyard hotel (in the southern suburbs) and they have made improvements.

Protea Hotel President – located at the far end of Sea Point, a little more resorty than the others above.

Southern Sun the Cullinan – see below

Southern Sun the Waterfront – these hotels are next door to each other in what is the financial area and opposite the convention centre. Sound mid range hotels offering a decent standard. During the day you could walk into the Waterfront but during the evening the area is rather ‘dead’ for walking about. Probably need to take your car/taxi to go out in the evening.

Camps Bay Village – I think this is self catering??

The Bay Hotel – Long established up scale hotel in the resort of Camps Bay right opposite the beach (which cant be used if it is windy). Surrounded by lots of bars and restaurants and a ‘trendy’ set. Will be busy and lively. I suspect much more expensive than your budget, but if you get a good rate then worth considering.

Table Bay Hotel - 5 star ‘International’ large hotel in the V&A Waterfront great views of Table Mountain, good location if you are still there on 31 Dec to see the fireworks. Expect rates to be at the top end.

The Cape Cadogan Boutique – A ‘designer’ boutique hotel very close to Kloof Street where there are lots of restaurants.

Four Rosemead – see below

Table Mountain Lodge – both these are really B&B/Guest houses, but unless you want the facilities of a full scale hotel, might suit you well. They are likely to be friendly and you should get personal attention. They are both situated in pleasant residential area close to the city centre. Could walk to some restaurants, but car /taxi needed to get to the Waterfront.

Hope this helps, but please remember I have not had the experience of actually staying in any of the above establishments. The Table Bay is probably the ‘best’ hotel but I am sure it would be much more expensive. If you want to be within walking distance of the Waterfront, then perhaps you should stick with the Commodore or Portswood. They are not 5 star hotels but they are well located.

England
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas in Cape Town - where to stay

Thats really great thanks macsym..some excellent advice, just what I needed. I understand you haven't stayed at them, but its good to get a sound opinion...maybe it is best to be near the waterfront as we do tend to go out more when on holiday rather than stay in the hotel of a night c....(guess I'd better start looking at restaurants too!!)...appreciate it!

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas in Cape Town - where to stay

a pleasure.

Ironically, the very best restaurants are not actually a the Waterfront! - but there are lots of them. They will be busy over the Christmas period, so advance reservations are useful if you want to go to a particular one.

My favourites in town are Jardine, 95 Keerom, Aubergine, Bizerca Bistro, Caveau, Savoy Cabbage, theShowroom, Millers Thumb. All have excellent food.

At the Waterfont, personally I like the fish and sushi at Willoughby & Co but unfortunately it is very much in the shopping mall and has no views.

A new restauant, Sevruga, has just opened, so might be worth a look! Society Bistro seems popular with visitors, Baia, is a large Portugese(ish) fish restaurant, rather pricey and best to stick with things like langoustines. Belthazar also pricey offers good steaks and a vast expensive range of wines. There are scores of others also to choose from depending on your preferences.

If you like looking at what joe public thinks of the restaurants then consult www.eatout.co.za it will keep you occupied for hours reading all the reviews!

Have fun and Happy Christmas when it comes

England
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas in Cape Town - where to stay

oooh that looked like a big hint about restaurants and it wasn't meant to!!! - but thanks again, i've printed it to keep...but will get checking the reviews! again (hubby will be delighted - more time on-line!!)

cheers....