We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roeland Street

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
86 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Roeland Street

We are staying in Cape Town for a month in Feb 09 and have beef offered a great deal on an apartment on (36) Roeland St (Hip Hop Plaza). I have read a posting however that Roeland St is seedy and although we would taxi by night wondered if it is safe during the day (i.e. leaving/returning to the building on foot). We have been to CPT 3 times (Green Point mainly) so know to be careful. An alternative would be Sea Point, Garden or maybe we ought to settle for Camps Bay. V&A is great but rentals are hugely expensive by comparison.

Thank you.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,065 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Roeland Street

The Royale Eatery is I think it's official title although it's more known as Cafe Royale. Yes they do make some of the best burgers around. We had another place called Fat Alberts which was also a Gourmet Burger place but this closed a year or so ago. Towards the bottom of Long Street is the surprisingly named Gourmet Burger. Ok but not as good as Royale. GB also have a branch in the Cavendish Square Shopping Mall.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,065 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Roeland Street

BTW - restaurants packed with Capetonians may not be good. They may just be CHEAP! ;)

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Roeland Street

I think the burger place is Mojitos. Thanks for your relatively positive reports about Roeland street. I know it's not the ultimate destination but your report back which is appreciated kind of vindicates my approach that there are alternatives to the obvious Cape Town accommodation areas. You seem to have enjoyed your stay and that's what counts.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,065 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Roeland Street

Hi

I think a bit of a crossed line. Mojitos (Cafe Mojito) is a Cuban Pub in Long Street which is actually great for Vegitarian food - although they may have an odd burger on the Menu. The best burger place in Long Street is definitely the Royale Eatery. They have about 20 different burgers on the menu. - it even appears on a website worldsgreatesthamburgers.com !

15. Re: Roeland Street

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 06:31