We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A couple questions re: Victoria Falls, safaris, and food?

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
California
Level Contributor
373 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
A couple questions re: Victoria Falls, safaris, and food?

Hi,

We are looking to book our tickets to Cape Town. We will be there in February. I am wondering if it is possible to day trip to Victoria Falls, and if so how we would go about it? Also, are there any safaris that can be taken from around the Cape Town area? I'm not sure how it works so if you could explain that would be great.

Also, what is the food like?

Do you think 12 days is enough?

Thanks... we are JUST starting to plan our trip.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,730 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A couple questions re: Victoria Falls, safaris, and food?

You may get 'flamed' for the Victoria Falls question. A quick look at a map will show you that Vic Falls is about 1200 miles (by air!) from Cape Town.

Generally, people say that there are no good safari camps nearby Cape Town. South Africa safari destinations that are truly worthwhile are in the east, the northeast, and the northern parts of the country. Again, perhaps as much as a thousand miles away - certainly several hundred miles to camps in the Eastern Cape.

The food? Much like you would find in California. But cheaper and often served with more flair and imagination.

California
Level Contributor
373 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A couple questions re: Victoria Falls, safaris, and food?

Thank you. I did look at the map right after I posted and saw where Victoria Falls is. I just remember looking before and seeing "cape town to victoria falls" and so I felt like it must be somewhat close.

Do people typically go to Cape Town for the beaches?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,954 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A couple questions re: Victoria Falls, safaris, and food?

"Cape Town to Vic Falls" is,indeed, a popular route. And with 12 days , you should have just about enough time! Many buses and trucks go via Namibia and Botswana to the Falls.

Not sure if tourists travel all the way for the beaches in Cape Town, but I'm sure the locals appreciate them.

I went for the scenery; the history; the cultures; the food; the wine; the museums; the wildlife; etc. All of these "attractions" were world-class in Cape Town and could keep you occupied for a week or two. I could get a superb meal in a top restaurant for about half the price of the equivalent in London. And the wine to go with it is great.

For safaris, have a look at the sanparks (South African national Parks) site. There are about a dozen huge parks (eg Kruger) plus loads of private reserves. You can stay in either or both depending on your interests, comfort-levels and budget. Private lodges usually include a couple of game drives per day, and some include all food and drink, so may appear expensive. As it is your first safari experience, I would suggest you either stay somewhere with good guides or hire one to enhance your experience.

Somerset
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A couple questions re: Victoria Falls, safaris, and food?

Cape Town to Vic Falls would take a minimum 3 days (1 day to travel up, a day to sightsee and a day to get back again. With the present situation in Zimbabwe I personally wouldn't entertain visiting the Zimbabwe side of the Falls (although there are no reports of tourists having a safety problem but the new inflation rate (the official one) has just been announced and it is running at 2,000,000 percent per year !! No - I can't imagine it either).

So If you plan to go there I recommend going to the Zambia side.

Agree there are no worthwhile safari areas near Cape Town, the Eastern Cape around Port Elizabeth is the nearest area, about 6 hours drive or a flight to PE.

There are some very nice beaches around Cape Town and the Western Cape but the majority of tourists go there for the myriad of other attractions. Table Mountain, Robben Island, Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens, penguins at Boulder Beach, the winelands and during the 'season' the whales which come to that coastline to breed but unfortunately will not be around in February.

A lot depends on your particular interests, I wonder whether you might be better flying to Johannesburg, then you could more easily get to Vic Falls and also to the best safari area which is around Kruger National Park. Depends on what you are going to South Africa to see.

The food is excellent as are many of the wines.

California
Level Contributor
373 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A couple questions re: Victoria Falls, safaris, and food?

Thanks for being friendly, everyone! I didn't mean to imply that all it has to offer is the beach by the way. The beaches just look stunning and something I would definitely look forward to. Thank you so much for all the information. I will mull it over and ask questions if needed.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
9,254 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A couple questions re: Victoria Falls, safaris, and food?

Although there is not much in the immediate Cape Town area that would be considered a "safari" by most people's standards, there are safari operators that work out of Cape Town. Have a look at outbackafrica.com which operates a guest house and safari tours from Cape Town into much of southern Africa and has several trips of different lengths.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A couple questions re: Victoria Falls, safaris, and food?

Cape Town's beaches are gorgeous, but be ready for some cold water. February is a lovely time of year in the Cape and surrounds and if you have time, take a break to the beach. And you'll probably not find any better than Camps Bay and Clifton 4.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A couple questions re: Victoria Falls, safaris, and food?

I see you are from California. VERY similar beaches.

Birmingham, Michigan
Level Contributor
63 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A couple questions re: Victoria Falls, safaris, and food?

Hi Travelchica23,

I went to South Africa and Victoria Falls last year. Did the trip in 12 days also. I wish I had stayed longer, but overall it was well worth it and a completely fantastic trip!!

I flew to JoBerg, and then early the next morning flew up to Vic Falls (stayed on the Zambia side). It was awesome! Then flew to Cape Day (really a full day of travel - you loose this entire day). I was there in August so the weather was not beach weather, but the beaches were beautiful if you go during nicer weather. Then I flew to Durbin South Africa, where we had a 4 hour transfer to Phinda Private Game reserve to do a safari for 3 days. Also, amazing!! It is an expensive place! But we love hiking, so we did the walking safari and stayed at the camp and it was less expensive. We also did a more expensive lodge in the park, which was well worth the money in my opinion (but very expensive).

I have some reviews of the hotels we stayed in (I think of all three locations). We were assisted by a local travel agent in Cape Town who planned an absolutely flawless trip for us. Her info is:

Travel in Africa – Adele (+27.217.826793 / safricatours@mweb.co.za)

Good luck! It will be a fantastic trip I'm sure!

TravelWise78

California
Level Contributor
373 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A couple questions re: Victoria Falls, safaris, and food?

To the previous poster, do you mind telling me approximately what I could expect a trip like that to cost? We have 2 people.