We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Africarhire - ANOTHER insurance question

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Africarhire - ANOTHER insurance question

I've been reading with interest/confusion (and some anxiety!) the many posts on car rental insurance, with the excellent notes from Somersetal proving very helpful.

Wanting as much peace of mind and insurance coverage as is possible, I got a quote from AfriCarHire, and have been reading the small print. Seems pretty good, in terms of cover for dirt roads, under-carriage, etc. What confused me is the following statement in their T&C's:

"As noted above, this page is for information purposes only. The Hertz rental agreement is the only legal document, and may have changed subsequent to the writing of this page. We encourage clients to read the rental agreement printed on the reverse of their rental document."

What I'm getting from this is that it doesn't matter what Africarhire's T&Cs state, it's actually only Hertz's that matter. Having been in contact with Hertz to ask whether their insurance covers driving on dirt roads (they don't!), it would seem to me that Africarhire's "total cover" option is pretty useless. Am I reading this right?? (I admit to being very confused now!)

I'll email Africarhire now to see what they say, but just thought I'd ask for help from all the experts here as well!

Many thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,611 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Africarhire - ANOTHER insurance question

We went with Africarhire last year after reading closely the Hertz conditions, which seemed to be the best coverage on offer (at that time, anyway)...get them (Hertz) to send you the rental agreement itself, for as you say its that document that will be the important one if you do have a problem

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,611 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Africarhire - ANOTHER insurance question

Sorry, didn't notice that there was a link from the Hertz site to the Rental Terms and Conditions..

https://www.hertz.co.za/index.php…

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Africarhire - ANOTHER insurance question

Quite agree with you that the whole issue of car rental insurance is a mess and suggest you get a copy of the current rental agreement BEFORE you enter into a contract and be sure to read the small print.

The way I understood the dirt road clause was that when specific roads were marked for the use of off-road vehicles, 4 x 4's and SUV's, then persons who drove on those dirt roads in regular vehicles were not covered by total insurance. However, each car rental company has their own insurance and the different exclusions are confusing.

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Africarhire - ANOTHER insurance question

I've just heard back from Africarhire and they gave me the following response:

"AfriCarHire are agents for Hertz, and as agents Hertz have provided us with our own set Terms and Conditions for all the rentals. Also as per our agreement with Hertz, Hertz have provided us with discounted fares as well as 2 insurance covers i.e. Super Cover Insurance and Total Cover Insurance. Hertz only offer the super cover insurance and not total cover insurance."

They attached a copy of their terms and conditions with Hertz, which are different from the ones you'd be bound by if you hired directly from Hertz, in that they offer the Total Cover Insurance. I've just had the fun of reading the small print in this set of T&Cs, and it certainly does appear that they cover untarred roads, under-carriage driving, etc if you take the Total Cover option.

Am happy to email these separate T&Cs to anyone who might want to know, or you can get them directly from Africarhire (they're not posted on their website). But just wanted to report back in case anyone was as confused as I was.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
252 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Africarhire - ANOTHER insurance question

You are certainly not alone with regards to the confusion of what you are and what you are not covered for,I intend to take out insurance in the uk to cover the areas that are not covered by the hire company and any potential excess I may have to pay.Anyone got any recommendations for companies that will do this.I have seen numerous ones online but dont know how ruputable they are.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Africarhire - ANOTHER insurance question

I rented a car with africarhire (Hertz) last Feb. I had the car in 2 weeks in Kruger, and there was a small ding (probably from a stone) that the agent noticed. He had me write a brief report for the insurance, but there was no hassle and no charge.

I was pleased with the car and africarhire, and will use them again next year.

Hampshire, England
Level Contributor
66 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Africarhire - ANOTHER insurance question

I asked my insurance broker to look at insurance4carhire.com ,he seemed to think it was okay, good value and worth going for. He didn't know of a UK company that would insure a car driven in South Africa but this company insures against the excess.

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Africarhire - ANOTHER insurance question

i have been hiring cars for holiday for the past few years i use a company called --car hire 3000 you can check them on the net -never had any problems and they are a good price.I always check b4 going the extras and so far have never paid out. -but then it is africa and anything there can change.

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Africarhire - ANOTHER insurance question

Just wanted to report back - rented our car from AfricarHire and all without any problems. You pick up the car from Hertz, they give it a thorough inspection with you, and then you return the car to Hertz with a cursory inspection and sign-off. The extra insurance certainly did give us greater peace of mind since we did end up travelling short distances on gravel roads when we were visiting wine estates, etc, so it was good to know we were still insured.

10. Re: Africarhire - ANOTHER insurance question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 09:33