We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cape town or camps bay for christmas - please help me decide

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
ireland
13 posts
Save Topic
cape town or camps bay for christmas - please help me decide

i will arrive in cape town for the start of a 3 week trip in south africa on christmas eve. i will be spending new years in camps bay but i need to book accom for christmas eve and christmas day and i don't know what to do - would anyone be able to tell me where's the best place to stay for christmas - cape town (a boutique hotel near to restaurants) or camps bay (a b&b near the beach), i'm wondering about atmosphere, places to eat, things to do etc. thanks so much.

London, United...
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: cape town or camps bay for christmas - please help me decide

I personally would prefer Camps Bay because it is near the beach and it is going to be HOT. The city is going to be over crowded. You will find a lot of restaurants in the Camps bay area. Do drive to Seapoint and Greenpoint. You will also find a lot of restaurants at the Waterfront.

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cape town or camps bay for christmas - please help me decide

Actually there is no guarantee what the weather will be like - there have been several Christmas days when it has been damp and misserable and you would not want to be on the beach!

Cape Town itself is relatively quite on Cristmas Day, although the Waterfront will be busy.

Assuming you dont or cant stay at the place you have booked in Camps Bay later, then I would consider one of the smaller personal small hotels/B&Bs in Cape Town. Of course it depends on your budget and availability.

I might suggest somewhere like Derwent House, African Villa or Kensington Place.

Alternatively you could even think about having Christmas in Franschhoek in the winelands.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
55 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cape town or camps bay for christmas - please help me decide

I would also go for something in Camps Bay over that time - there are lots of restaurants close by, from the ultra trendy to the local pizza place - and there is a great vibe along the beachfront. Have a look at a website called www.SafariNow.com to find suitable accomodation - don't let the name put you off it has loads of info on accomodation, not only in Camps Bay but all over. I have used this site many times when booking accomodation and have never been disappointed. Good luck and ve a great time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
409 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cape town or camps bay for christmas - please help me decide

I'd also go for Camps Bay just because of being close to the beach.

But I actually think you have to take whatever is left, because I'm sure most of the places are already fully booked for Christmas. So definitely hurry!

The Waterfront itself would also be an option as I'm sure there's most options in terms of eating out close by.

Whichever you choose, you won't be disappointed :)

London
Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cape town or camps bay for christmas - please help me decide

I definitely agree with Camps Bay as your choice! There is a supermarket (but just check if it is open on 25th) and loads of restaurants, with a great buzz. And OFCOURSE the beach - and if its windy, walk to Clifton beach (10 min).

Just be aware that the beaches will be BUSY! You can then head down to the V & A which is about 10 min car ride - but it is walkable if feeling energentic (45 -60mins) -stunning scenery and you can always take a cab back!!

6. Re: cape town or camps bay for christmas - please help me decide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 02:19
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central