We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to buy Robben Island tickets?

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
904 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
When to buy Robben Island tickets?

I have read on the forum that it is necessaary to buy tickets to Robben Island in advance. How far in advance do they sell-out? We are going to Cape Town in June 2009. When should we buy tickets? Now???

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to buy Robben Island tickets?

At that time of year I would have thought that a week or so would be plenty. The problem may be more with the unpredictable weather. If you do buy in advance go for a day early in your stay, then if the weather prevents a sailing you have the chance of re-booking for another day.

However,this year I think the weather has probably been worse in September than it was in June - there must have been several days this month when sailings were not possible!

midlands
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: When to buy Robben Island tickets?

I know things can change but when we went to cape town a couple of years ago we bought our tickets at the waterfront ticket office for the following day, so if you are staying close to waterfront this might be an option but as I said things might now have changed

Cape Town
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: When to buy Robben Island tickets?

June is not a busy month for visits to Robben Island, mainly because of the weather. However, I would still recommend that you book your Robben Island tickets at least a month in advance just to be safe. No need to book them now.

The disadvantage of Cape Town, is that bad weather can cancel your tour attraction....

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
460 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When to buy Robben Island tickets?

I am going to Cape Town in February - would I need to purchase the Robben Island tickets in advance?

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,962 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When to buy Robben Island tickets?

I just reserved space for clients and here's how it worked. As others have noted, you should call them.

from the US, it would be 011-27-21-413-4200. You go through some prompts when the call goes through and end up with a live person. In my case, a nice lady who gave advice on which trip to take (1PM, her suggestion when I told her I wanted an afternoon departure).

She took names, credit card information.. but honestly, not all the information. Didn't ask for "name as it appears on card" nor the "3 digit number on the back". I have the impression she did not put any charges on the card but I haven't asked the client about that.

She gave me a confirmation number for the clients to present when they showed up at the ticket office at the V&A Waterfront and advised they should be there no later than 12:30PM.

Yes, on the Robben Island web site, there is an email address for bookings - but others have said they have sent emails to it with no response.

Perhaps others reading this can offer their experiences with the email address.

Boston...
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When to buy Robben Island tickets?

Hi Helen, definitely book your Robben Island tickets in advance and double check the reservations. I was there in Feb and wasn't able to get on the boat because the staff at the ticket office booked my tickets for the wrong date and they didn't have anything available for another week! :(

--- Red Mox ----

My Cape Town Food Blog: http://travelingchomps.blogspot.com

Hamburg
Level Contributor
362 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When to buy Robben Island tickets?

We booked by e-mail through their web site last year and the whole procedure was very smooth, not the slightest problem at all. We got a code and just walked to the respective ticket counter in the V&G Waterfront.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: When to buy Robben Island tickets?

June and July is as busy a time as any. The backpackers are here in force all year round and more importantly a huge amount of people who attend conferences and incentive tours. Get them now....!

When you get here collect them immediately. I am a tourist guide and i deal with these issues regularly.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
42,051 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When to buy Robben Island tickets?

We booked by phone a few months in advance. No problems at all, but you do need to prebook.

10. Re: When to buy Robben Island tickets?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 18:23