We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Capetown Neighborhood

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Oregon, USA
1 post
Save Topic
Capetown Neighborhood

We are a family of 4 going to rent a house in Capetown in March. In what neighborhood should I look? We want to be near the beach, safe and fun. There are so many places it is confusing.

Thanks

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
611 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Capetown Neighborhood

Hi, this question would largely depend on your budget.

I would say the Camps Bay, Clifton, Bakoven, anywhere on the Atlantic seaboard is gorgeous (most expensive and rightly so).

Also, further up the west coast side of Cape Town; Bloubergstrand, Tableview is nice, although the wind tends to blow a lot here and swimming is not all that safe or recommended and the sea is cold cold cold!

Simonstown round the peninsula, Kalk Bay, Llundudno & Hout Bay are also great areas, all more suitable to family swimming. Noordhoek also nice for beach walks, but sea can have very big waves and not entirely suited to family swimming either.

I would say avoid Gordon's Bay, Muizenberg, Milnerton, Seapoint (not for swimming so you would have to travel to swimming beaches).

Hope that helps!

Cape Town Central...
Destination Expert
for Camps Bay
Level Contributor
224 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Capetown Neighborhood

I would recommend Camps Bay as well. It has the best infrastructure of holiday homes, as well as plenty of restaurants and a great family beach.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Capetown Neighborhood

This does depend on budget, and also what kind of beach holiday you want. Camps Bay and Clifton are very trendy, expensive and there is likely to be lots of people on the beach.

If you want quieter beaches with more natural scenery, then you could try a place on the peninsula. Simonstown has several small beaches and is a nice seaside town about 30 mins drive from centre of Cape Town. Kommetjie and Noordhoek both have amenities like shops and restaurants, but are still relatively quiet and natural. Scarborough is right by Cape Point, and surrounded by natutal beauty (lots of baboons, rock pools etc), but nearest shops and restaurants are 10 minute drive. Hout Bay is near Camps Bay, but further along the peninsuala - its also a nice town with many places in walking distance of the beach.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Capetown Neighborhood

Have a look at http://www.cape-photos.co.za. It has a description and photos of Sea Point, Hout Bay, Camps Bay, Clifton, Scarborough, Kommetjie, Muizneberg, Simonstown, Fish Hoek and Kalk Bay. All these areas are close to the sea/beach and vary in price. But you can decide based on the area guides which suits your purpose and pocket.

Hope it helps!

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Capetown Neighborhood

Simonstown will be the safest most sheltered...plus you are at the penguin colony. The place to stay is called (i think) Boulders Guesthouse.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,978 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Capetown Neighborhood

I would definitely recommend the Atlantic Seaboard - being Sea Point, Green Point, Mouille Point, Camps Bay, Bantry Bay or Clifton - all near the beach.

Tanzania
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Capetown Neighborhood

Tapping into all these wonderful suggestions could anyone let me know if they know of an appartment that could be rented for a family of 2 adults + 2 children in any of these lovely recommended areas ? or an inexpensive but nice guest house or B+B where one could spend Christmas ? Budget 800 - 1000 ZAR total per night. Recommendations much appriciated !

8. Re: Capetown Neighborhood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2009, 16:21