We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Houston to Cape Town

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Houston
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Houston to Cape Town

I will be flying to Cape Town from Houston in March and I am at a loss as to the best route to take to get there. I want to use a Continental partner and know of several that will get me there. British Airlines, Air France, KLM, Northwestern, Emirates, Delta, and Virgin are all partners. I would rather not have more than one stop, but don't want a 24 hour lay-over either, as I will be traveling to Cape Town by myself.

I'm just very confused. Is it best to go to Europe then to Cape Town, or is it smart to fly Emirates and have a lay-over in Dubai. What are the options?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,563 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Houston to Cape Town

You pretty much named the options. I don't have all the schedules in front of me, but any travel agent does. Let them show you the layovers, etc. The only airline flying directly to Cape Town from the US is Delta - from New York - so you can fly to JFK, change terminals and planes, and continue without going through Europe.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,253 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Houston to Cape Town

Are there no options via South America, or are all those too expensive?

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Houston to Cape Town

Like Dave said, you named all the options.

I am not at my office to check the schedule, but I think the fastest way to Cape Town will be Houston-AMS-CPT on KLM. You should book the ticket as a NWA code share flight so you get continental miles.

I just came back from South Africa via Amsterdam on Saturday. I really like the airport and the connections. I have also never lost my luggage going through AMS!

Also – you can earn Continental miles on Emirates so Houston-DXB-CPT would be an option.

Craig Beal – owner – Travel Beyond

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Houston to Cape Town

I have just flown from London back home to Cape Town on KLM and found the airline good - the airport amazing but my daughter is flying on Thursday from l.a. via New York on Delta so if you send me a private message next week i will ask her what it was like. Whatever you do avoid Johannesburg - take a flight that flies directly into Cape Town - whether its on Delta from New York or via Europe on KLM, Turkish Air (also good), SAA, BA, Virgin (good) Lufthansa .These airlines all fly directly into Cpt. Unless you want a stop in Dubai i wouldnt take an even longer flight.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
829 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Houston to Cape Town

Divacape...I am curious for my own future travels...

"Whatever you do avoid Johannesburg"

Why?

-Surf:)

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Houston to Cape Town

Two reasons - when you get to Johannesburg you need to clear customs before flying to Cape Town. You then have to trek with your suitcase from International arrivals to domestic departures - up and down escalators and walking - its really a schlep.

Secondly - there is a lot of pilfering of ones luggage in Johannesburg (it has been in the newspapers). Either your whole bag gets stolen or stuff inside it gets stolen so whatever you do lock the suitcase with those approved USA locks.

Cape Town - you arrive and go through customs , collect your luggage and youre on your way

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
829 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Houston to Cape Town

ok, thanks for the message.

-Surf:)

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,563 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Houston to Cape Town

I'm planning a trip on Emirates and remembered that they fly to Cape Town from Houston - you must overnight in Dubai, because of the schedule (you arrive at 6:45PM and leave the next morning at 8:35AM). After the long non-stop flight from Houston, a break would be welcome. On the return, you do fly back with just a change of planes in Dubai - just a 3 1/2 hour connection.

The fare will be a few dollars less or more than $1600. Total travel time is about the same as would be a change-of-planes in Europe on another airline.

Houston
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Houston to Cape Town

Thanks so much for all of your responses.

I was thinking my best options were Houston-Amsterdam-Cape Town or Houston-Dubai-Cape Town. I just wasn't sure which was the best for me. I'll just have to sit down and compare the total time, both in the air and lay overs.

For the poster who asked about South America. I had considered that as well. Continental only flys to Rio and then nothing to Africa from there. I didn't look yet to see if any of the partners fly from Rio to Cape Town. I am going to look into that today.

Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Houston to Cape Town

saa has a daily flight from sao palo to johannesburg.

united flies to sao palo.

craig