We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GOOD NEWS.....Cape Town to Simonstown.....by train

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
902 posts
1 review
Save Topic
GOOD NEWS.....Cape Town to Simonstown.....by train

I have been making enquiries about this option and have discovered a much cheaper way of travelling to Cape Point.

The average price of this tour is around R650.00 p.person at the moment....but if you take a train to Simonstown, which costs R25.00 pp. for a return ticket you can then take a transfer to Cape Point for about R450.00pp.incl. entrance fee

Transport bookings can be made from Cape Town Tourisms' Simonstown information office.

It turns out that this option is now hugely popular

Mentioned in this post
Cape Point
Cape Point
Cape Town, South Africa
Sustainable Africa
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Day Trips
Wine Desk
Sightseeing Tours
African Blue Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Ashanti Travel
Sightseeing Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,153 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GOOD NEWS.....Cape Town to Simonstown.....by train

Hi

The train is a good option if you only want to see Simonstown and the penguins.

The savings are not that great to provide an alternative to the tours, because you miss out on Hout Bay and Chapmans Peak(when open).

There are cheaper backpacker tours for R500pp for those wanting a budget option.

Mentioned in this post
Hout Bay
Hout Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: GOOD NEWS.....Cape Town to Simonstown.....by train

I think not. You see the City, Table Mountain, Campsbay, Kirstenbosch and Hout Bay if you take an open bus tour. This way CAPE POINT TOUR is exactly what it says.

Consider how much time is actually spent at Cape Point when you go on a normal tour.

Also, there are local busses that take you to Kirstenbosch during the day at less than R10.00 per person compared to a topless buss that costs you R100.00 per person

The "victory ticket" takes you to Stellenbosch by train for approx. R25.00 per person and that includes a chaperon service.

There are many cheaper alternatives

Mentioned in this post
Hout Bay
Hout Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Cape Point
Cape Point
Cape Town, South Africa
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,153 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GOOD NEWS.....Cape Town to Simonstown.....by train

The open Top bus is another R120 and an extra day.

So now the price is R25+R450+R120=R595 and add 1 more days accom. It does not seem a bargain.

As I said earlier it is great value it you just want to visit Simonstown and the Penguins only.

A car hire is usually the best value, if there are 2 or more. That is how I traveled in Australia and New Zealand last year.

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,164 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GOOD NEWS.....Cape Town to Simonstown.....by train

You take your life in your hands taking a train anywhere - i wouldnt recommend train travel to anyone anymore unfortunately

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,153 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GOOD NEWS.....Cape Town to Simonstown.....by train

From what I have heard the Cape Town to Simonstown route is quite safe on 1st Class.

Things have improved over the last year and more people are using the trains because of the credit crunch, so there is some safety in numbers.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,164 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GOOD NEWS.....Cape Town to Simonstown.....by train

i dont know capetownfan i certainly wouldnt risk it - its really bad on those trains

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: GOOD NEWS.....Cape Town to Simonstown.....by train

Most of the carriages are locked down in off peak periods. There are cleaning staff on the train all day. If you use the victory ticket you can ask about the chaperon service.

As for the calculation you have to add in the extras you see along the way as well. ie. the city tour and the benifit of hop-on-hop-off, the discounted entrance fees, the benefit of flexibility as opposed to being locked into a prescribed tour etc....

8. Re: GOOD NEWS.....Cape Town to Simonstown.....by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 00:19