We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Watching

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Sunderland
Level Contributor
229 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Whale Watching

Hi i was wondering when i would be most likley to see whales in Cape Town/Hermanus?

Thinking of going late October early Novemember. What would our chances be of seeing any then?

Thanks

JP

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,111 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Watching

Hi JP

Late Oct early Nov is getting towards the end of the Whale Watching season but you will definitely still be able to get sightings. Hermanus nearly, two hours from Cape Town, has buitlt it's reputation on Whale Tousism but IMO De Kelders further down the coast may be better.

However you do get good sightings in Cape Town. The best sighting point is from the road down the False Bay side of the penninsula between Fishoek and Simonstown (nearer to Simonstown). You often see whales here very close to the shore. Another good site is Hout Bay on Chapmans Peak drive before the toll station. At the end of last October I was standing on the cliff just 20 metres or so above a pod of eight whales with calves. I was there for probably half an hour virtually on my own (at Hermanus there would have been a queue) and I moved on rather than they did.

Hamburg
Level Contributor
357 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Watching

For me the best place to do whale watching is Gaansbai/de Kelders.This is abt. 30-40 minutes drive from Hermanus and there are a lot less people around than in Hermanus.

We have been there a few times already and always we saw a lot of whales with calves very close to the shore.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,738 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale Watching

And since I live part time here in De Kelders (just arrived Saturday night!) I do recommend it as the best place for whale watching. And for spending a quiet, restful night on Walker Bay. Places to stay? De Kelders B&B, Umnenge Guest House, Marebella B&B, several others also right on the water. Ivanhoe Sea Safaris offers whale watching from a large, comfortable boat. October, whales for sure, even into November.

kent
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale Watching

and how about may? i was planning on visiting hermanus for a few days the second week in may before i go home, but maybe i should think again...?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,111 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale Watching

It is very rare that you see whales in May. The ice has only just started to advance in Antarctica which is what prompts the Southern Right Whales to migrate north to calve.

You may get a rare sighting of a Humpback whale in the Western Cape as early as May but these are more often seen off the East Coast as they migrate northward to Mozambique.

If you see any whales in the second week in May from Hermanus it would be a freak sighting. The only time you should make a special trip to Hermanus to see whales would be mid July to mid November. This is not to say whales are never seen outside these times but a special trip is likely to be unsuccessful.

6. Re: Whale Watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 08:21