We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cape town - oranjezicht or greenpoint?

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Melbourne
7 posts
Save Topic
cape town - oranjezicht or greenpoint?

Hi there everyone

My husband to be and I will be hitting Cape Town for 4 nights, 3 days before we head off on Safari.

I love the idea in staying in one of the guesthouse / B&B type places - there seem to be so many good ones!!

I was wondering if you'd all have some advice on location. we can either stay in oranjezicht which will provide great views of table mountain and the coast (looking at Abbey Manor or Runtland lodge) or down in greenpoint (18 on crox).

my main concern is just if we stay on oranjezicht how hard is it to get around without a car - especially at night if we want to go somewhere to eat that isn't within walking distance - how hard is it to get cabs?? are there good restaurants in orangezicht? from greenpoint we can walk to V&A.

your feedback would be appreciated.

thanks

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cape town - oranjezicht or greenpoint?

You are correct, there are lots ofvery good B&B/Guest Houses in Cape Town and the ones you mention are allhighly regarded.

Wherever you stay it is not difficult to get taxis. There are several restaurants in and around Kloof Street, Oranjezicht, but even from Rutland Lodge/Abbey Manor you would probably want to take a taxi when you go out at night and you would need a taxi to get to the Waterfront during the day.

You certainly would not want to walk to and from the Waterfront at night from 18 on Crox but during the day it is not a problem.

18 on Crox is a good B&B but there is no view - the other two you mention have that advantage, they are also slightly larger properties so you may have a better chance of getting accommodation for the dates you require.

Hope that helps!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,611 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cape town - oranjezicht or greenpoint?

Hi Miss...also have a look at Liberty Lodge in Tamboerskloof...check reviews on TA. Nice views, great accomodation and many eating options within walking distance

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cape town - oranjezicht or greenpoint?

I would rather recommend Green Point or Sea Point or Bantry Bay - you dont have to stay at 18 on Croix - i am sure there are lots of B and B's depending on what you want to spend. Better bet than Oranjezicht as far as i am concerned. Near to the waterfront and all the restaurants. You can certainly walk from Green Point to the waterfront during the day but wouldnt recommend it at night.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
111 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cape town - oranjezicht or greenpoint?

I would recommend Oranjezicht. We stayed at 79 on Orange - a beautifully furnished guesthouse with fab views of the mountain and a wonderful welcome. There are a few restaurants within walking distance but we walked everywhere - waterfront, Long street with o problems at all.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cape town - oranjezicht or greenpoint?

Here we go again - a local vs a non - local!

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cape town - oranjezicht or greenpoint?

vdec - you havnt had your say yet!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
111 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cape town - oranjezicht or greenpoint?

Hope you're not having a go at me!!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion!!

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,012 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cape town - oranjezicht or greenpoint?

I stayed in Oranjezicht for a week in December and found it really easy to get around without a car. The views were great. I did a lot of walking and even down to the waterfront from there (although not a short walk). It was only a short walk one day to get the hop-on-hop-off bus tour. My guest house booked me cabs in the evening and I think most would do the same for you.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,084 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: cape town - oranjezicht or greenpoint?

Diva

As I said on another thread yesterday I think that we need views from everyone - locals, repeat vistors and those who have been to our wonderful city for the first time. By the way those of us who live here don't actually stay very often in hotels or guesthouses in Cape Town itself.

For what my opinion's worth both Oranjezicht and Greenpoint are great places to stay. I would have no problem with either. It all depends on the individual property. OZ is slightly quieter but you won't be able to walk to so many places - and you need to like walking up and down hills! On balance I probably would say OZ but it's like saying would I prefer you to give me a present of R999.50 or R1,000!

Anyway back to the pool on this 33Deg morning!

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cape town - oranjezicht or greenpoint?

Well it looks like perhaps Hout Bay is the place to be. Today Sunday is certainly not 33 degrees in Bantry Bay. Still overcast even in Camps Bay, Mouille Point etc but if its pool weather in Hout Bay you have it lucky today - we dont!