We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self- drive safety worries!

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
324 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Self- drive safety worries!

Arriving in Jo'berg for a nine day holiday from the UK in May. We have 4 nights booked at the Ant's Nest, 3 nights at Buffalo Ridge and 2 nights recovery in Sun City! Starting to get a little nervous about our journey from the airport to our various locations. Should I be?

Thanks for any reassurances.....

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,082 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Self- drive safety worries!

Hi

There is really very little driving in this itinerary at all. From the Airport up to the Waterberg is all on motorway (about 1.5 hours) until the last 45 mins or so. You will be driving through no areas where there are any safety problems. The only problem you will have, if you are arriving on a morning flight, is that you will be in a rush hour traffic jam from the airport until you get past Pretoria. The R21 has less traffic than the N1 but both will be busy.

From Waterberg to Madikwe is very close on country roads. You will hardly see any traffic let alone have problems. The same for Madikwe to Sun City. Both these drives are less than 2 hours. Sun City back to the airport is again mostly on major roads and motorway. Apart from what you do during your days you have less than 8 hours driving in your whole 10 day holiday with no safety issues. Driving in SA is exactly the same as in the UK and with the exception of between the Airport and Pretoria there is a fraction of UK traffic.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
324 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self- drive safety worries!

Thank you for that - feel a little happier now. Really looking forward to it all........

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self- drive safety worries!

Hi

I would still be very vigilant in and around Jo-burg or Gauteng Province for that matter. I would also not drive at night.

Werner

Eko Tracks

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
324 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self- drive safety worries!

Hopefully I wont be going near the Gauteng Province ....... or will I?!!

Don't intend to drive at all once we reach our 3 destinations.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,082 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Self- drive safety worries!

Hi

Gauteng is the province that includes Johannesberg. However to say that the the whole of Gauteng or Johannesburg is unsafe to drive or that you should never drive at night is a totally unrealistic generalisation. Was the previous post from personal experience or just hearsay?

To drive along the N1 or R21 from Joburg International Airport to the Waterberg at 9 o'clock in the morning is no different than driving the M25/M3 from Heathrow to Portsmouth.

6. Re: Self- drive safety worries!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 11:21