We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most scenic train journey in S.A.,is it Joburg to Cape town?

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
island-explorer-82
Level Contributor
605 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Most scenic train journey in S.A.,is it Joburg to Cape town?

Hi..im thinking of taking the train a train journey in south africa and need to know the most scenic route...is it the Joburg - cape town route ?? Is this route really scenic ??

What about george to cape town or durban-cape ??

I dont want to take the blue train or rovos rail..would rather take the Shosholoza Meyl or premiere class which are a lot cheaper ....

Mentioned in this post
Rovos Rail
Rovos Rail
460 Reviews
Cape Town, South Africa
Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most scenic train journey in S.A.,is it Joburg to Cape town?

Hi,

The only train journeys that are decent are Rovos Rail,

Blue Train and Premiere Classe. These trains have different routes but run mainly between Johannesburg/Pretoria and Cape Town. There are no first class trains between Durban and Cape Town.

There is also the Desert Express between Windhoek (Nambibia) and Swakopmund and this also a five star train.

Mentioned in this post
Rovos Rail
Rovos Rail
460 Reviews
Cape Town, South Africa
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Pretoria
Pretoria
Gauteng, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Durban
Durban
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Windhoek
Windhoek
Khomas Region, Namibia
island-explorer-82
Level Contributor
605 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most scenic train journey in S.A.,is it Joburg to Cape town?

is the premiere class route joburg-cape town scenic ?

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most scenic train journey in S.A.,is it Joburg to Cape town?

It is scenic from Worcester to Cape Town (about two hours) and the rest of the route goes through desert-like areas and is not that fantastic but the trip is wonderful and relaxing. I would not spend extra the money on Rovos Rail or Blue Train unless you want luxury and be pampered - Premiere Class is fine.

If you want scenery, suggest you rent a car and drive along the Garden Route from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth. Mossel Bay to Port Elizabeth is lovely but be sure to stop over in Wilderness, Knysna, Plettenberg Bay, Tsitsikamma.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Rovos Rail
Rovos Rail
460 Reviews
Cape Town, South Africa
Garden Route
Garden Route
106 Reviews
Port Elizabeth
Port Elizabeth
Eastern Cape, South Africa
Mossel Bay
Mossel Bay
Wilderness
Wilderness
Knysna
Knysna
Plettenberg Bay
Plettenberg Bay
Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
832 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most scenic train journey in S.A.,is it Joburg to Cape town?

I've been on the Durban / Cape Town (and back) route and used Shosholoza Meyl to do it. Yes, it's no Rovos Rail or Blue Train but it's not their prices either.

I can thoroughly recommend it as a method of travel across South Africa.

The railways in SA go through a lot of towns that used to be coaling / watering stops for the steam engines. With the change to electic / diesel most of these small towns took a nose-dive and so are now not exactly pretty. Other than in major cities where Metro-rail still run commuter services, stations have become derelict.

As an small experience in industrial archaeology though they're quite interesting. And, there are still a good percentage of towns that have mantained their charm.

Other than the eastern coast, the Drakensburg of KZN and the wine and fruit growing areas north of Cape Town South Africa's landscape from a train can seem boring. The vast expanses of the Karoo that the Jo'burg / Cape Town train goes through are, in my opinion, best travelled by anything other than a car, preferably with a good book and a drink (or several) close nearby. The train's ideal.

Only once the train gets to the Hex River Valley does the scenery get worthwhile but, unfortunately, the timings of the train mean these are done in the dark of early morning or late evening. I believe that Rovos Rail make a point of travelling this part in daylight and even stop at Matjiesfontein which is an historical tourist stop in the middle of nowhere on the Karoo (but an interesting history as fas as steam trains and the local farmer's water supply monopoly.)

These tourist trains can suffer from delays caused by (for example and not frequent) rail freight derailments. As long as you allow for these within your further travel arrangments it's fine.

A major part of your decision will depend on where you want to be at the start and end of the train journey and what you want to do when you get there. Or, you may be thinking of using multiple train journeys to get between the tourist spots.

Cape Town to Port Elizabeth by Shosholoza Meyl has recently been added as a route and goes through some rugged scenery.

Durban to Cape Town is scenic to begin (KZN and the Drakensburg area) and end (Hex river valley / winelands.)

Read my review (link below) and, if you want more in-depth information, send me a personnal message.

I've also given a link to Shosholoza and Premiere Class within Spoornet.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g293740-d543…

www.spoornet.co.za/Website/passengers.html

For prices and bookings I'd recommend contacting Santie within their web site at:

www.satravelbooking.co.za/

Mentioned in this post
Durban
Durban
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Rovos Rail
Rovos Rail
460 Reviews
Cape Town, South Africa
Port Elizabeth
Port Elizabeth
Eastern Cape, South Africa
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,256 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Most scenic train journey in S.A.,is it Joburg to Cape town?

Hi

I thought the question was about scenic routes. IMO there is a clear answer. You would not go on any long distance rail trip in SA to see the scenery. Far, far better is to hire a car and follow some of the scenic mountain or coastal itineraries that people are putting together every day in these forums.

Rail has other advantages as people are pointing out. It is restful, it can be luxurious (at a price), you can sit back and catch up on your reading. You can see small out of the way (uninteresting!) towns that you wouldn't see otherwise ...... But as a method of seeing the wonderful scenery that this country has to offer it is not the way to travel!

IMO the rail trip from Joburg to Cape Town might be close to qualifying as the scenically most boring route in the world - well some of the routes across Australia may run it close.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most scenic train journey in S.A.,is it Joburg to Cape town?

http://www.seat61.com/SouthAfrica.htm

That site may be helpful...

7. Re: Most scenic train journey in S.A.,is it Joburg to Cape town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 01:19