We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

garden route

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
uk
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Topic
garden route

Hi,

We are staying for 2 nights at Kynsna. On our way to capetown from Port Elizabeth. We have 1 more night to spend 30/12. We are looking for suggestions for the best location on route. do we stick to the coast or detour inland. We are 2 adults traveling with our son who will be 16. We paln to Double back to Hermanus when in Cape town.

Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Port Elizabeth
Port Elizabeth
Eastern Cape, South Africa
Hermanus
Hermanus
Overstrand, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: garden route

Hi

It depends what you want to see. The scenic areas/towns along the Garden Route are typically Jeffreys Bay, Tsitsikamma, Plettenberg Bay, Knysna, Wilderness and then Hermanus. A scenic detour inland would be to Oudtshoorn where you can visit the Cango Caves and ostrich farms.

Werner

Eko Tracks

Mentioned in this post
Garden Route
Garden Route
106 Reviews
Plettenberg Bay
Plettenberg Bay
Knysna
Knysna
Wilderness
Wilderness
Hermanus
Hermanus
Overstrand, South Africa
Oudtshoorn
Oudtshoorn
The Cango Caves
The Cango Caves
3,408 Reviews
Oudtshoorn, South Africa
McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: garden route

From Knysna I would drive along the coast to George and then head inland to Oudtshoorn, probably too soon to stop the night, so you could (depending on your interests)

1: Drive over the Swartberg pass and stay in Prince Albert, it is then a 4 hour drive to Cape Town via the N1 (make sure you stop at Matjiesfontein)

2: Drive along the interesting R62 staying in Barrydale or Monague and continue the next day to Cape Town via the R60 and N1 from Worcester.

Mentioned in this post
Knysna
Knysna
George
George
Oudtshoorn
Oudtshoorn
Cape Town
Cape Town
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,121 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: garden route

I like the night in Montagu. This is a picturesque old town. Being there is sort of like turning back the clock to earlier times.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
611 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: garden route

Hi,

all of the above posters are correct.

I wouldn't recommend following the N2 past george to Cape Town. The more scenic route is def inland at George to Oudtshoorn and then the R62 to Cape Town.

Drive time from Knysna to Oudtshoorn is 1 1/2 hours.

From Oudtshoorn to Cape Town (not via Prince Albert) is 4 1/2 hrs (420kms).

Prince Albert is a lovely town, but I would actually only recommend this as a night stop if you can fit another night somewhere on the R62 on the way to CT as this just makes the journey far too long to CT in one go.

(I live in Oudtshoorn by the way so I know these routes very well)

The previous poster is correct; the Swartberg Pass is a must see in the area. I would recommend the following 2 options for you.

First (and personal favourite) option (includes Swartberg): Leave Knysna after breakfast. Drive to George, over to Oudtshoorn, turn left at the first set of traffic lights you reach to De Rust. Drive De Rust, Meiringspoort, Klaarstrom to Prince Albert. Have lunch in Prince Albert. Drive over the Swartberg Pass and be in Oudtshoorn mid afternoon, stopping at the Cango Caves on the way. Stay Oudtshoorn the night. Leave Oudtshoorn, drive R62 and have lunch in Montagu (see art galleries etc) and then to Cape Town.

Second option: Leave Knysna after breakfast. Drive to Oudtshoorn, visit ostrich farm/wildlife ranch or Caves. Have lunch there. Drive to Montagu (3 hrs from Oudtshoorn). Or miss the sites and just drive straight, with lunch in Barrydale at the Country Pumpkin.

What ever you do, stop for a photo opportunity & refreshment between Barrydale & Ladismith at Ronnies Sex Shop ;)

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
George
George
Oudtshoorn
Oudtshoorn
Knysna
Knysna
Swartberg Pass
Swartberg Pass
1,316 Reviews
Oudtshoorn, South Africa
The Cango Caves
The Cango Caves
3,408 Reviews
Oudtshoorn, South Africa
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
611 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: garden route

Sorry turn RIGHT at the first set of lights.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,020 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: garden route

Sorry, but I just don't get the interest in Ronnie's sex shop..its just a shop (not a sex shop) with a "rude" name (allegedly added by his mates one night as a prank)...how it comes to be so often included as a "must see" sight in the Western Cape eludes me...am I missing something?..or is it the chance of taking a slightly risque photo for people who wouldn't dare step inside a "real" one?

Mentioned in this post
Ronnie's Sex Shop
Ronnie's Sex Shop
241 Reviews
Barrydale, South Africa
Western Cape
Western Cape
South Africa
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
611 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: garden route

Personally Ronnies is a few things.

1) In the middle of nowhere which adds to its charm

2) As a child I remember this place as a broken shack with just the writing on the wall which grew into a world-famous biker and traveller stop due to this so called 'rude' name

3) Ronnie is rather an interesting character

4) Travellers from all over the world have written all over the walls (and a few have added dodgy bras)

5) This quirkyness is what the Route 62 is all about and to some extent it can be paralled with the famous Route 66 in the States, which has a bike and harley culture of its own.

6) Klipdrift has jumped on board with a 'rude' billboard

7) In all the guide books

At the end of the day, tourists love it, it is very popular, and until that ceases I will continue to promote this place (I have no vested interest I would like to make that perfectly clear).

Sorry that you don't 'get it'. You are actually one of the very few that don't. Even as locals we stop here on the way through to Cape Town.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,488 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: garden route

Both Knysna and Cape Town will be very busy at that time of year. (Prime holiday season here). A night inland might be a nice change of pace.

Mentioned in this post
Knysna
Knysna
Cape Town
Cape Town
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
611 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: garden route

Sorry, I just reread your post ctrunfree, and it is quite obvious that you haven't been there. Please make comments based on your personal experiences not what you think is the truth.

Ronnies Sex Shop is not a shop. It is a PUB. With an information area that tourists can find info and accommodation for their onward journey and small shop that sells water etc.

the story goes like this:

"This pub just outside Barrydale was once a shop that Ronnie owned. It was called Ronnies shop. It closed down and was left derelict. One day Ronnies friends decided to play a trick on Ronnie and they painted the word "SEX" in between the words 'Ronnie' and 'shop'. As one drives along the R62, one cannot help but notice the phrase that is written in bright red. Due to the interest shown in the derelict building with the words 'Ronnies Sex Shop' written on it, Ronnie turned it into a pub. 'Ronnies Sex Shop' has since been booming with business - not a bad trick played by his friends after all."

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,020 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: garden route

Worsie, didn't mean to hit a nerve...its obviously a favourite from your youth!

Fortunately we don't all have to like the same thing...why there are even people in Oz who go out of their way to visit the Big Banana/Merino/Pineapple!