We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cage diving with the Great Whites

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
837 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Cage diving with the Great Whites

My partner and I are in the process of planning our trip to South Africa in October/November 2006.

We have wanted to do the cage diving for years and next year we will finally get our chance!

Just wondering if theres anyone on here who has done it and would like to share their experience with me and suggest a good company to use?

Thanks

Pauline

Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
467 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cage diving with the Great Whites

This is something that should be banned. The increase in shark attacks on humans has partly been blamed on the increase in cage diving. When diving in cages, food is dropped down to encourage the sharks, the sharks will then associate humans with food, hence the increase in attacks on surfers etc.

I would urge anyone not to follow this activity and hopefully it will eventually be banned.

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cage diving with the Great Whites

cindy14, would appreciate it if you could direct me to the scientific/veterinary studies which support your contentions. Many thanks.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
837 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cage diving with the Great Whites

Scientific research shows that Sharks mostly attack surfers because from below their shape resembles that of a seal.

Sharks such as the Great White and Tiger Shark, while being excellent hunters, are also scavengers, therefore any sort of 'food' floating around will attract them anyway.

The increase of attacks by sharks on humans is because we now spend more and more time in the water not because we choose to study them in their natural habitat from the safety of a cage!

Cape Town
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cage diving with the Great Whites

Most of the operators are in the town of Gansbaai (Bay of Geese). And because competition is stiff they always try to be better than the others, so you should be ok with them.

To lay at rest the argument in this forum, visit this site: http://www.whitesharkdiving.com/cage.html where they explain the pros and cons of shark cage diving. If it was not was not for making people aware of sharks and giving them the change to come up and close to them, I am sure their numbers would have been decimated by those who want to kill them because they kill the odd human. These operators depend on the shark for their livelyhood and go out of their way therefore to protect them. It is all a matter of how the industry is controlled.

Some companies offer a second dive for free if you have not seen them the first time out.

The biggest chance of seeing them is during SA's winter - July, Aug, September - nearly 95%.

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cage diving with the Great Whites

Cindy, there's little point in making allegations unless you can substantiate them. Not very impressed with the logic of your earlier e-mail.

There was quite a good television programme on either ITV or Channel 4 about a week ago which featured a number of celebrities (including Ruby Wax and Colin Jackson) involved in cage-diving off Hermanus. They also used a transparent glass cage which has just been introduced for use in South Africa and which gave the divers the impression that they were in open water with the sharks.