We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White wine suggestions

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
104 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
White wine suggestions

I know nothing about SA white wines and would welcome some still and sparkling recommendations for my next visit. Price not so important.

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
491 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: White wine suggestions

Don't have any specifics but SA Sauvignon Blanc in general is excellent

You would be surprised at the quality that can be had for under $10

Has the most amazing Sauvignon Blanc at Boschendal wineries ,they discount the price of the wine there,it was all of 6 bucks I think.Would have loved to buy a couple of cases but they didn't ship

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: White wine suggestions

There are some fabulous white wines available here. Unfortunately as a general rule the 2008 Sauv Blancs (which is mostly what is currently available) are not a patch on those from 2007, but of course there may be exceptions.

There are some excellent chardonnays (Oak Valley, Fleur de Cap Unfiltered, Glen Carlou, Buitenverwachting oh so many more) Constantia Uitsig semillon 07 - stunning. Some great gewurztrminer, riesling and voignier. Sorry I am cooking dinner - have to dash, will write more again, if inthemean time VdeC has not provided you with a detailed list!

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: White wine suggestions

Okay - it all depends on what you like but here are a few suggestions

Sauvignon Blanc - SA style not as aggressively acidic/green fruit as NZ examples. Personally, along with Chenin Blanc and some Chardonnay, I think the SB is the recent exciting area for white wine in SA

Iona / Springfield / Vergelegen / Steenberg and for a cheap and cheerful selection Stormhoek are all good

Chenin Blanc - often forgotten and underrated - nice refreshing drink which I often prefer to SB as an aperitif

Simonsig / Ken Forrester and for something a bit more serious Cederberg V Generations

Chardonnay - here we must consider two quite different styles - oaked (veering towards Californian in style) and unoaked

Oaked - Hamilton Russell / Jordan Nine Yards and Rustenberg Five Soldiers (and just the plain Rustenberg) are among my favourites

Unoaked - Thelema and Simonsig (again - I will declare that Johan Malan is a friend of mine)

Semillon - not an SA wine I have drunk much -Vergelegen was good and some people rave about the Steenberg but have not tried it.

There are other grape varieties I haven't covered and no doubt VdC will cover the sweeter things in life

As for MCC - well Simonsig Cuvee Royale is the best I have ever tried

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: White wine suggestions

Hi royalgeorge

Makes a change from all the posts about red! As I have posted before the general quality of SA whites in comparison to International norms is currently even higher than the reds. As judik just posted prices are also a revelation – especially to Americans who are not used to seeing these wines in their supermarkets, unlike Brits and many other Europeans. However the better SA whites are not always widely available.

As people who know my wine posts fear I could now go on for two pages with whole lists of great SA whites but as I am going out for dinner just a few highlights – I am sure you will get more from our regulars :

1. Sparkling Whites (all MCC – Methode Cap Classique/Champenoise) - Steenberg (Constantia) 1682, Simonsig (Stellenbosch) Kaapse Vonkel the first true MCC (also good pink), Laborie (Paarl) and Hout Bay Vineyards (couldn’t resist that one!)

2. Sauvignon Blancs Cape Point Vineyards, Steenberg (Constantia), Nitida (Durbanville), Iona (Elgin), Buitenverwachting (Constantia), Springfield (Robertson), Quoin Rock (Stell) - best wooded SB, Hermanuspieterfontein (Hermanus), Groote Post (Darling) and Alexanderfontein (Darling) – at less than $3 a bottle one of the wine bargains of this world!

3. Chardonnay Plaisir de Merle (Franschhoek), Newton Johnson (Hermanus), Hartenburg (Stell), Paul Cluver (Elgin) and Buitenverwachting (Constantia)

4. Semillon - Nitida (Durbanville), Constantia Uitsig. Steenberg and Cape Point Vineyards

5. Reisling Hartenburg and Paul Cluver

6. Blends (some of the best new whites) - Cape Point Vineyards, Hermanuspieterfontein (Hermanus), Oak Valley (Elgin), Constantia Uitsig, De Grendel (Durbanville), Solms Delta (Franschhoek).

There are lots more so I’ll probably post again later!

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,409 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: White wine suggestions

Wow! Not much I can add. For Sauvignon blanc, I drink Raka and Southern Right - both of which are not so far from me. I echo the Constantia Uitsig and Rustenberg recommendations for Chardonnay. Just last week, Wine Spectator named Rustenberg's Brampton Sauvignon Blanc as an Editor's Pick - 87 points.

Brampton is Rustenberg's 2nd label and has a nice Chardonnay, too - when you can find it.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: White wine suggestions

Many thanks.

Confirming yet again what a valuable resource we have in this forum.

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: White wine suggestions

Ok, the dinner is over!

When is your next visit George?

It does make a difference - if it is not for some time, the wines listed may no longer be available and opinions may have changed!

Personally, currently I drink as an every day (and I mean during the day, every day) white; Alexanderfontein Sauvignon Blanc or Mooiplaas Chenin Blanc both around $3 a bottle. Stunning quality/price ratio. The latter is one of the small number of Chenin Blancs that I actually enjoy. However there are lots of other (more expensive) Sauvignon Blancs which I do like – those from Springfield, Cape Point, Jordan, Klein Constantia, Buitenverwachting, Neil Ellis, Nitida, Steenberg, Groote Post, Flagstone. Iona sauv B is almost iconic although I have to say the 08 did not do well against the 07 Crystallum which I thought was fabulous (not perhaps such a widely known wine but made by the sons of Peter Finlayson of Bouchard Finlayson).

Chardonnay: As someone has already said it depends on which style you enjoy. I personally enjoy Buitenverwachting, Glen Carlou, Fleur du Cap Unfiltered, Sterhuis, Oak Valley, Waterford, Longridge and probably quite a few more. Can’t afford Rustenberg 5 Soldiers or Hamilton Russell or even Bouchard Finlayson. But they are all good but some need time and they do vary by vintage.

Semillon: Constantia Uitsig 07 absolutely. But also Nitida , Steenberg and Cape Point Vineyards. There are also great blends of Sauv B and Semillon

Riesling: Hartenberg and Paul Cluver are probably the picks

Gewurtaminer: Neethlingshof, Paul Cluver and Simonsig

Voignier: I enjoyed a Ridgeback, but there may be better examples such as Fairview, but I have not tasted that many.

White blends: Spoilt for choice- Vergelegen springs to mind but it always seems to need time! Recently I was very taken with a De Grendel Winifred 07 which I found ‘delicious’

MCC (sparkling/Champaign) - give me Kaapse Vonkel, and I am very happy, but I like Graham Beck BdeB, Villiera Monro and although not generally a fan of the wines, the J C Le Roux Pinot Noir Rose 06 is particularly good if you like a delicate pink!

Dessert wines: well here you have a fantastic range of relatively moderately priced wines (at a fraction of their French counterparts) – Klein Constantia, Fleur du Cap, Kanu, Neethlingshof, Waterford, Paul Cluver etc etc

The problem is that wine, like many things is very personal, what I enjoy you may not, but what is certain you will be spoilt for choice and you are certain to find plenty of S African white wines which will enthrall you.

As an aside (and not white) my most recent ‘discovery’ is a Monis Muscadel – absolutely stunning and a snip at $6 a 500cl bottle. I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys dessert wine!

Happy drinking!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: White wine suggestions

Will be back 9 May, not soon enough!

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: White wine suggestions

Hot off the press - this evening with wifey's superb chicken and broccoli bake I drank Glen Carlou 2007 Chardonnay which was previously recommended by Macsym. I thought it was very good and an interesting contrast to the aperitif of Black Daisy 2008 Chardonnay from the Padthaway region of Australia.

The Black Daisy has a very lightly oaked style, very refreshing and moreish. Nice fruit balance with alcohol. I scored it 89 which at £7 a bottle suggests a good value for money wine.

The Glen Carlou has a much more serious weight to it, with distinct oak but still beautifully in balance to the quality of the fruit. Definitely a food wine and a 90 from me at £8 a bottle.

Can I just add, I love wine and have indulged (sorry I meant researched) heavily over the years but SA wine is not something I would claim to be an expert at. The residents of SA have clearly an advantage over me in this respect and I heartily respect their opinions and will seek to research further on the basis of them.

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: White wine suggestions

Belfast, just read your post on this topic and found it interesting you considered the Simonsig and Thelema Chardonnays to be 'unoaked'. Personally I would have put them very much in the wooded category.